Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My well isn't working...  (Read 508 times)

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My well isn't working...
« on: July 11, 2010, 08:27:42 pm »

I'm trying to designate it as a water source. Its built 7 z-levels above a 7/7 deep water tile, which is fed by a brook (flowing down a series of ramps).

When I try to designate an activity zone by it, water source is grayed out. What am I doing wrong? It looks like this on top:

XX_
XW_
XX_

Where _ is open floor and X is wall, W is the well.

Then there is a 7 z-level straight vertical shaft down to the water.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I removed the wall above and below the well... water source still grayed out.
But a dwarf did go use the well to clean himself, so apparently they can get water out of it...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:31:15 pm by morikal »

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: My well isn't working...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 08:43:24 pm »

Did you designate it as a water source?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 08:51:28 pm »

I couldn't tell this at all by reading the OP.  This is pretty important, please respond.

In all seriousness, might you need to channel the top off of the brook?  The ability to walk over the brook it might be preventing the well from accessing it.  Don't know if it's as buggy as it used to supposedly be in 40d (something about world-flooding?)
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 08:55:07 pm »

The activity zone? I hadn't, because the number by it showing how many squares qualify shows (0).
Pit/Pond shows (1) (the well), and everything else but sand collection & fishing show (5) (the squares without the well in it).

If its a valid water source, shouldn't water source have (1) by it?

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 08:56:00 pm »

I couldn't tell this at all by reading the OP.  This is pretty important, please respond.

In all seriousness, might you need to channel the top off of the brook?  The ability to walk over the brook it might be preventing the well from accessing it.  Don't know if it's as buggy as it used to supposedly be in 40d (something about world-flooding?)

Hmm, I'll try channeling the top off of the brook.
I have a kink in my water flow at the lowest level to depressurize it again, so should be safe. *crosses fingers*

(Although, Dwarves have accessed it to clean themselves, so I don't know whats up...)

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 09:04:26 pm »

Hmm, that didn't help.

Could the problem be that there are several rocks sitting in the lowermost tile, along with the water? (Not much I can do about them now...)

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 09:13:27 pm »

Well, if they're using it and not running outside into danger, it should be fine.  Just leave it enabled even if it says (0), and if it works fine like you said it did (dwarves using it for cleaning/drinking), then it works, and don't question it, lest the game realize it made a horrible mistake and eat itself or something in that manner.
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.