Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are Archery Ranges still bugged?  (Read 1467 times)

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are Archery Ranges still bugged?
« on: July 10, 2010, 10:51:02 pm »

Hi, just got the new version of DF and I've been waiting patiently for marksdwarves to work again. I'm trying to prepare a squad of marksdwarves and they seem to be equipping crossbows and quivers just fine. However, I cannot get them to use the archery range, nor can I get them to pick up bolts. Am I doing something wrong?

Alcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are Archery Ranges still bugged?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 10:55:06 pm »

Did you assign the archery target to be trained on? Did you set it to be shot from in the proper direction?

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 11:06:21 pm »

Yes and yes.

Alcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 11:20:58 pm »

Try setting the direction the opposite of what you have it now. Maybe try putting a bed in the room and making it a barracks. Is the squad you want trained idle or did you set them to train.

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 11:25:32 pm »

I did overlap the targets with a bed-based barracks, but I'll try the opposite firing direction (which would be odd. They'd have to stand outside the barracks and fire through the walls in order to hit it, but it's worth a shot I guess.)
The squad is idle, so I'm sure that is not the problem. They just won't even sit around the barracks or pick up bolts.

EDIT: One dwarf had the job "go to archery practice" after I fiddled around with it. However, he chose to sleep in a nearby bed the instant he got near the range.

DOUBLE EDIT: Success! One dwarf is using the archery range. Not sure if the other ones will, however.

TRIPLE MEGA EDIT: Woah, my dwarves are trying out their crossbows with a little live-fire demonstration on incoming human merchants. While terrible for diplomatic relations in the long run, I can't help but feel happy that they are actually shooting.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:47:45 pm by Shogger »

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 01:39:10 am »

In the latest version, toady did something to make it possible to attack visitors, such as diplomats who like to destroy buildings. Apparently that makes your military and your animals hostile to them by default. I don't know if there's a way to turn it off.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 05:21:33 am »

I'm having the same issue. My archers refuse to use the Archery Targets despite initiating the "Go To Archery Practice" job.