Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 31.08: Population cap?  (Read 688 times)

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
31.08: Population cap?
« on: July 09, 2010, 10:50:38 am »

I've tried limiting the population of my fortress due to FPS issues, but I couldn't find anything about population cap in the newest init.txt, although I know I've seen it before.

I tried adding the line [POPULATION_CAP:50] to the init, and I thought it worked at first as my population stayed at around 50-60... However, the newly arrived migration wave bringing my population from 65 to 83 obviously proves otherwise.

Has anyone had any luck limiting the population, other than using atom smashers?
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: 31.08: Population cap?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 10:56:48 am »

The population cap works, but doesn't take effect immediately.  You may need to wait a year or so in game to see the cap prevent further population.  I always control my population cap, setting it down to 20 at the start and then gradually increasing the number as my fortress grows, but it's not uncommon to get a few immigrant waves at the start that push you over the cap.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 10:58:51 am »

Actually, my fortress is 5 years old and I've had that line in the init file since the beginning...
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 11:00:44 am »

Now that's strange.  I've never seen a sudden immigrant wave after years of population at the cap.  Did anything unusual happen like your fort getting made a barony or something?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 11:04:06 am »

The first megabeast just arrived, although I guess that's a consequence of the population, not its cause...

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 11:05:31 am »

A lot of the old init settings now reside in multiple files.  I believe d_init in the same directory has some, you might find the population cap one there.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 11:10:42 am »

Ah, yes, there it is! In d_init.txt. I guess it's just a coincidence that I haven't been getting migrants these last few years, then...

Rayc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 07:21:25 pm »

Had my population capped at 100, and 16 more came in after 100.  Maybe the code checks to see if you are below the population cap then gives you a full wave, whether or not you go over?