Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Enemies?  (Read 578 times)

The1nk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More Enemies?
« on: July 29, 2010, 04:38:47 pm »

I tried modifying the RAWs to create more enemies (MOAR enemies for MOAR blood for MOAR Fun!!), though in a very simplistic manner for now..

I actually just copied the Goblin entry, and pasted it a few times to produce a Frail Goblin Civ, Hulking Goblin Civ, Gigantic Goblin Civ and the original Goblin Civ. The only difference between the few are the names and their respective body sizes. For the adult sizes, Frail * 2 = Original; Original * 2 = Hulking, Original * 4 or Hulking * 2 = Gigantic.

After a world gen, I'm finding a different civ of Goblins on just about every embark, which is fabulous, but there are *none* with more than one variant! ..And note: It seems as though having that many goblins pretty well destroys Elves, which is a good thing..

How can I get these Goblins to live side by side, and unite against their common foe - The Dwarves?

Thanks!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: More Enemies?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 05:06:54 pm »

There is currently no way to get two civs to "unite" in an alliance or to get members of different civs to live together other than by babysnatching.

Thanks to babysnatcher tags, they should already be hostile to the dwarves anyway, and will all siege you if they have the same triggers as the original goblin civ.

If you make different goblin races into castes within a single goblin creature, then the entity generated that uses that creature will draw from all these castes to generate its population (and soldiers).
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 05:08:40 pm »

Did you change the "[ENTITY:EVIL]" header to something unique for each civ? The game might just be picking one civ at random if the identifiers aren't unique.

If you've done that, try making each civ appear in a different biome. They might be wiping each other out in the struggle for mountains. Adding other alignment tags (GOOD, BENIGN, SAVAGE) can also help them find new places to settle in (the tags are all inclusive with one another, but be aware that BENIGN and SAVAGE have a couple of effects on agressiveness and such in Fortress mode).

And yeah, castes are the ideal alternative, but they might be a little too in-depth for you to care about.

The1nk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 07:23:53 pm »

See, it's truthfully not that I don't care about modding, but that the only modification I'm currently looking for to compliment DF is more enemies.

I was thinking that simply adding more civilizations would thus create more enemies, and increase the frequency of sieges and ambushes.

(And the "unite" thing was more or less a pipe-dream. Instead, I just want them to be able to exist on the same areas without killing each other off! This idea was brought about by the fact that Humans, Dwarves, Elves and Goblins can all live in the same embark area, with a bit of head-butting and elf melting, but it's still possible.)

...If you make different goblin races into castes within a single goblin creature, then the entity generated that uses that creature will draw from all these castes to generate its population (and soldiers).

So, adding additional castes to the original Goblins will instead allow just the one Goblin civilization to have different types of units and such, but would it also increase the frequency of attacks?

Did you change the "[ENTITY:EVIL]" header to something unique for each civ? The game might just be picking one civ at random if the identifiers aren't unique.

If you've done that, try making each civ appear in a different biome. They might be wiping each other out in the struggle for mountains. Adding other alignment tags (GOOD, BENIGN, SAVAGE) can also help them find new places to settle in (the tags are all inclusive with one another, but be aware that BENIGN and SAVAGE have a couple of effects on agressiveness and such in Fortress mode)...
Oh! So, there can only be one [ENTITY:EVIL] per region? (they're all evil  ::))

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 07:40:26 pm »

See, it's truthfully not that I don't care about modding, but that the only modification I'm currently looking for to compliment DF is more enemies.

I was thinking that simply adding more civilizations would thus create more enemies, and increase the frequency of sieges and ambushes.

(And the "unite" thing was more or less a pipe-dream. Instead, I just want them to be able to exist on the same areas without killing each other off! This idea was brought about by the fact that Humans, Dwarves, Elves and Goblins can all live in the same embark area, with a bit of head-butting and elf melting, but it's still possible.)

...If you make different goblin races into castes within a single goblin creature, then the entity generated that uses that creature will draw from all these castes to generate its population (and soldiers).

So, adding additional castes to the original Goblins will instead allow just the one Goblin civilization to have different types of units and such, but would it also increase the frequency of attacks?

If you've done that, try making each civ appear in a different biome. They might be wiping each other out in the struggle for mountains. Adding other alignment tags (GOOD, BENIGN, SAVAGE) can also help them find new places to settle in (the tags are all inclusive with one another, but be aware that BENIGN and SAVAGE have a couple of effects on agressiveness and such in Fortress mode)...
Oh! So, there can only be one [ENTITY:EVIL] per region? (they're all evil  ::))

Adding additional castes does not change frequency of attacks, only variety of units. Adding additional entities does increase frequency of attacks; a recent fort of mine with 13 modded-in civs hosted three sieges in three consecutive seasons.

The EVIL in [ENTITY:EVIL] doesn't mean anything. It is only a text descriptor that the game uses to distinguish each entity from the other. [ENTITY:randomtexthere] is just as functional as [ENTITY:EVIL]. So if all your goblin entities had the same [ENTITY:EVIL], the game would have problems reading it, and you should change some of them to any kind of unique alternate text.

I think I misunderstood your initial concern in my original reply. The problem appears to be that within a single generated world, the different goblin entities are so widely spaced that no embark has more than one, but at the same time, all of the entities have been placed in the world. This could only be caused by the game placing the enemy civs on different continents. Increasing the diversity of the biomes and alignments of regions where goblin entities can be placed would help alleviate this solution.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod