Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Bronze Colossus  (Read 707 times)

CheezeSlayer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The Bronze Colossus
« on: July 09, 2010, 10:54:36 pm »

I never would of thought that my fortress would one day be attacked by a mega beast. 

I realized how wrong I was when a Bronze Colossus lumbered into the map catching me completely off guard.  Any clues on how to kill it?

All I have are 5 Hammer Dwarves, 5 Axe Dwarves, 5 Spear Dwarves, and 5 Wrestlers.  I have traps set at every entrance point in my fortress though I doubt that they will do much. 

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
Re: The Bronze Colossus
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 11:05:46 pm »

douse it with magma (maybe, don't know how the new temp damage works on metal creatures)  or build something in the sky above it and then collapse it over it via a lever linked to the single support it is all built upon.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

CheezeSlayer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 11:21:11 pm »

well like I said, I was totally unprepared for it.  I have no means of making any sort of magma traps or anything.  Currently, my army has trapped it inside a small dried pond but most unfortunately while trapping the colossus my entire army accidentally went down with it.  They are now locked in deadly combat with the Bronze Colossus and are tiring out. 

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 11:48:21 pm »

If they're trapped in a pond, you won.  Just ignore it and try to go about your business.  It's currently unkillable (though that's fixed in the upcoming patch) except by cave-in or possibly magma, so just seal off the pond as best you can and keep it around for tourists.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 11:51:49 pm »

sounds like the perfect opportunity to build a colossus den, wall off the area, build a big dome or ziggurat over the pond and pit sacrifices into your new god.  He'll even have a bed of dwarf bones and armor to lay upon.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 12:41:24 am »

Thy dwarfs died valiantly in sacrifice to the Blood God, and he hath granted ye a Bronze Colossus pit to conduct more sacrifices!

Of goblins!
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 12:44:14 am »

A bronze colossus showed up at my fort recently and I only had 5 poorly trained swordsdwarves to try to fight him off with, but to my surprised he walked right into a cage trap and now he's the guest of honor in my zoo!  I still dunno how a colossus fits inside that tiny wooden cage and doesn't bust out.  :P

--nomad_delta

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 03:20:15 am »

Giant axe blade traps will kill a BC. Any weapon large enough to reach and sever its head will work. Regardless of what it's made of, anything with a head can be killed. Anything whose body can be bifurcated can be killed. The only truly immortal creatures are inorganic blobs.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 03:26:53 am »

Giant axe blade traps will kill a BC. Any weapon large enough to reach and sever its head will work. Regardless of what it's made of, anything with a head can be killed. Anything whose body can be bifurcated can be killed. The only truly immortal creatures are inorganic blobs.

Why would you want to kill a trapped Colossus?

Oh, you meant for other times. Oh, cool, that's good advice.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.