Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't make pig iron, how do I get flux?  (Read 4322 times)

elsporko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't make pig iron, how do I get flux?
« on: July 16, 2010, 03:08:05 pm »

Hey all. I just started Dwarf Fortress a few days ago. I'm following AfterActionReporter.com's dwarf fortress tutorial. I'm at the point where I'm making steel. I've made lots of charcoal and iron bars, and have limestone rocks and such all over my fortress, but the smelters don't give me an option to make Pig Iron. I can melt a metal object, smelt magnetite ore, and smelt native platinum ore.

I have charcoal and iron bars, so I just need a flux material, right? Do I have to specifically designate materials as flux, or does just having it around work? Like I said, almost all of the floors and walls are made of limestone, which should be a suitable flux material. How do I gather this material, or make it suitable to use as flux?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't make pig iron, how do I get flux?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 03:14:33 pm »

Hmm, you've got everything you need and I assume you haven't mass-forbidden the limestone. Have you tried building a second smelter right next to the limestone (to guarantee no pathing problems)? What happens if you order the "make pig iron" job via the manager menu?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

elsporko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 03:32:39 pm »

Thanks for your reply. Also, if it helps, I'm using an older version of DF so that I can properly follow along with the tutorial, I'm using v0.28.181.40d.

I went into the job manager and searched for IRON, but there were no "Make pig iron" or anything of the sort. I searched PIG as well, and there were no possible jobs for it.

I destroyed the Smelter and built another one in the same place, no difference. The distance between the Smelter and the limestone the dwarf used to build the Smelter is only one space. Does it matter that my iron bars are on a different level? My stockpile for the iron bars is on a different level. Maybe they can't find the bars or something?

Edit: I placed a stockpile a few tiles away from my smelter. There's a few tiles of bars of iron loaded already, and the smelter still doesn't give me the option to make pig iron bars.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:51:45 pm by elsporko »

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 03:34:15 pm »

one last guess, go to your O'rders and see if your dwarves ignore minerals, or anything realated
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

elsporko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 03:58:25 pm »

Nope, it's set to: "Dwarves gather minerals" I'm guessing that since the dwarf was able to make the Smelter out of Limestone anyways, he shouldn't have any problems. It might be something awfully stupid that I'm doing.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 04:02:27 pm »

Have you made any iron bars yet?
Smelt a few magnetite and try again.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 04:16:05 pm »

Check [DF directory]\raw\objects\reaction_standard. It should have a reaction named MAKE_PIG_IRON_BARS. If not, you're screwed and I have no idea how it happened. If it does, your problem lies elsewhere - in 40d, the reactions will show up on the list if you have any of the reagents needed. Since it's not, either something happened to the raws or I'm stumped.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 06:29:17 pm »

This happened o me in 40d before and I asked for help here, then played more and it magically fixed itself.

elsporko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 09:24:40 pm »

I have this in that file:

[REACTION:PIG_IRON_MAKING]
[NAME:make pig iron bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[REAGENT:1:REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PIG_IRON]
[FUEL]

So it's there. Not sure what happened. I can just go on to the rest of the tutorial, but I won't be able to truly protect my fortress with the traps in the tutorial. I've got all of these cages and mechanisms... but no steel to make it useful, haha. I'll keep playing, and see if it fixes itself or something. Thanks for all of your help, guys. Although, if anyone has a fix, I wouldn't mind :)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 09:47:45 pm »

Just use iron and bronze you wuss.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 11:34:46 pm »

Bronze or iron is fine for traps imho. I save steel for military weapons and armor.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 02:24:32 am »

Did you check the Z menu to be sure limestone isn't red?  Dwarves won't use stones that are marked red and by default like half of the stones are marked as forbidden.
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 02:45:25 am »

Did you check the Z menu to be sure limestone isn't red?  Dwarves won't use stones that are marked red and by default like half of the stones are marked as forbidden.
That would be fine, since it's part of a reaction. Also, it is green, because he built the smelter with it.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.