Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: no more attacks... do they just eventually give up?!? (40d)  (Read 558 times)

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile

I've got a 40d fort going, and I removed the active tag on my civilization so they don't ever send immigrants, nobles, or caravans... I only had 2 females, so it took a while to get up to 20 dwarves, and I just got my first mood a few months ago.

Here's the problem: it took me nearly 10 years to get around to putting up real defenses (that is, an automated death machine - no sand, so I had to have enough metal for all the upright spikes...), so I just walled up and didn't open up for several years.

I added several different hostile civs: 2 or 3 orc civs, 2 goblins civs, ogres, giants, etc.  I've had contact with several of them near the beginning (ambushes), but I didn't really notice after I walled up (I had a very special entrance for caravans, so they could get through without opening up to the world) whether I had any more ambushes, and now that I have my Nasty Slaughter Pit of DoomTM ready and I've got an entryway into my fortress open to the world (which goes through said NSPoDTM, or course)...

Well, it's been at least 4 years, and I've got NOTHING coming.  Zilch.

I didn't really kill very many in the early years, and orcs don't bloody care about that anyway, of course... Have they just given up?  I've never run a fortress quite this long before (I'm in year 16 now), and I certainly haven't ever gone this long without being big enough for actual sieges, so perhaps this is just normal...

?

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: no more attacks... do they just eventually give up?!? (40d)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 11:57:19 am »

I think it's based more on wealth and population than time.  When you finally get some dwarfs you should have more Fun :D

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 11:58:54 am »

I've got a 40d fort going, and I removed the active tag on my civilization so they don't ever send immigrants, nobles, or caravans... I only had 2 females, so it took a while to get up to 20 dwarves, and I just got my first mood a few months ago.

Here's the problem: it took me nearly 10 years to get around to putting up real defenses (that is, an automated death machine - no sand, so I had to have enough metal for all the upright spikes...), so I just walled up and didn't open up for several years.

I added several different hostile civs: 2 or 3 orc civs, 2 goblins civs, ogres, giants, etc.  I've had contact with several of them near the beginning (ambushes), but I didn't really notice after I walled up (I had a very special entrance for caravans, so they could get through without opening up to the world) whether I had any more ambushes, and now that I have my Nasty Slaughter Pit of DoomTM ready and I've got an entryway into my fortress open to the world (which goes through said NSPoDTM, or course)...

Well, it's been at least 4 years, and I've got NOTHING coming.  Zilch.

I didn't really kill very many in the early years, and orcs don't bloody care about that anyway, of course... Have they just given up?  I've never run a fortress quite this long before (I'm in year 16 now), and I certainly haven't ever gone this long without being big enough for actual sieges, so perhaps this is just normal...

?

If you never come out from your fortress for that time, well, then try to open the door and let your dwarves out. You will get 4-5 ambushes. It was same for me.
And if you did.... well, then goblins and orcs just ambush and laying siege other dwarven cities insted of yours)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 03:59:27 pm »

I've played 50 years of a fort with 13 enemy civs in 40d. I noticed that some enemies ceased coming completely after a few years, while others came constantly every other season in the fort's later years. When I didn't defeat the sieges of a certain civ, they tended to send sieges more constantly. Another civ I decimated in the fort's early years has only recently begun sending sieges again.

So, based on this information, I'd say that by destroying the last few waves of sieges, you've won yourself a long lull in sieges for a while. Eventually, sieges should start happening again, but it could be a while.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 04:03:41 pm »

They should never stop coming.

I've had a theory for a while that sieges are linked to the amount of wealth you create. If you want more sieges, make more junk and see if that does the trick.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 05:20:42 pm »

They should never stop coming.

I've had a theory for a while that sieges are linked to the amount of wealth you create. If you want more sieges, make more junk and see if that does the trick.

If you have obsidian, make obsidian crafts, then encrust them with jewels. Then, make steel weapons and stud them with platinum.

That should solve it.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 05:52:32 pm »

Maybe the "removed the active tag on my civilization" changes how the hostile civs treat you. Dangerous terrain.

Or DF keeps track of the "able citizens" of each civ and they've run out of adults and non-crippples.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 05:54:23 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884