Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do I get my dwarves to migrate into the cavern?  (Read 2196 times)

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get my dwarves to migrate into the cavern?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 04:39:27 pm »

The designation pattern mentioned in the original post would indeed create unusable ramps. He has no path to the caverns.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 05:07:25 pm »

True story. Dwarves treat the starting wagon like a meeting zone. The only way to make dwarves stay away from the wagon is to highlight it (q) and deconstruct it (x). You'll need a dwarf assigned to do carpentry for the dissasembly.

Not correct--if you have a dining hall and\or statue garden, no dwarves or animals will idle at the wagon. This has proved out in my last 10+ forts :D I never remove the wagon, it's a symbol of the hard-pressed expedition that founded the fortress, it must be protected from invaders and buildingdestroyers, berserking assholes, and the like. Think of it as your fortress' Flag :)

I fly my flag at my trade depot  :D

And your wagon only counts as a meeting hall until you designate one.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 06:14:31 pm »

Dwarves hang out by the wagon if there are no other meeting halls or meeting zones. If there is anything else they will hang out in your meeting hall/zone instead.

If the wagon is destroyed and you have no meeting hall/zone dwarves will just wander the map randomly when not doing anything.

elfhater

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine vino non laboro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 09:04:30 pm »

I suppose you could make ramps like this:

Code: [Select]
xd     0
xx

xr     -1
xd

xx     -2
dr

dx     -3
rx

d=dug
r=ramp
x=surrounding

You could, but there are exactly zero situations where that would be preferable to a 2x2 staircase in the same spot.
Pages: 1 [2]