Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you control temperature in world gen?  (Read 693 times)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you control temperature in world gen?
« on: July 08, 2010, 07:59:58 pm »

I'm sick of waiting for world gen to cough up a world without warm mountains, and then re-rolling. Again.

How do you set up the parameters to force temperature all across the map to be warm?

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you control temperature in world gen?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 08:18:11 pm »

It is non-trivial and after 2-odd years I still haven't figured it out. It has to do with the "meshes" in world gen. Try searching the DF wiki for some related info (or search these forums) or wait until someone who understands it comes by to help you. Good luck!
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 09:40:11 pm »

just increase the minimum temp and decrease the max and get rid of any checks on temperature, Then keep genning pocket worlds till you find out what temp is warm, then add that to the wiki cause it would be useful

min/max temp should be towards the top and by default are 25 and 75

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 09:56:53 pm »

I think it's broken.

I turned off the mesh thing (to 'ignore') then set min temp 80, max temp 80, temp variance x & y to 0, and it still generated a map with freezing in the north and scorching in the south and a thin band of warm in the middle.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 06:34:52 am »

It's all in the min/max temperature, as cameron said. I have mine set up to give me nothing warmer than "temperate" so my min is still 25 while my max is usually around 30-40. However, from what I've seen this also influences the min/max temperature in the actual fortress aswell, which I don't remember it doing in 40d. This resulted in me having a permafrozen river even in summer on a temperate map.

But yeah, fiddle around with min/max temperatures, I'd suggest in a pocket world for the sake of speeding up the trial and error before making a bigger world, but I'd say somewhere around 40/50 min/max might do it. Experiment.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."