Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slow May Green 38_01  (Read 1117 times)

Darbuk.Ubildolush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slow May Green 38_01
« on: July 08, 2010, 01:40:31 pm »

I utterly fail at forum search, I know... But I can't find anything telling me why my DF would be running at 50 odd frames per second, when it normally runs at about 150-200 with 100 dwarves.  I upped the max frame rate to ensure that wasn't the problem.  It's currently, running at 50 with 7 dwarves.. Help?
<At the Midnight Coffee and Endarkenment Sand Bar, at a Mantis Shrimp Man Poetry Jam>
"I call this one "Dining on the shores of a dwarven hold with seaweed in my hand."
"Little dwarven man,
Your insides are delicious.
You can not blame me."
*SNAPSNAPBOOMBOOMSNAPBOOMSNAPBOOM*

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Slow May Green 38_01
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 02:11:14 pm »

The only thing I can think of is a large amount of flowing liquid somewhere (in the caverns? Deeper? There is a bug involving magma draining into the HFS because of sudden elevation changes). Dig deeper and check.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Darbuk.Ubildolush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 03:06:15 pm »

Well, rather than going digging around I restarted in a different location.

I seem to be getting around 100 FPS, which is still pathetic for 7 dwarves (I've reset the Frame Rate, as usual).  I'm used to 200 easy, which makes the game playable for me at that rate.
<At the Midnight Coffee and Endarkenment Sand Bar, at a Mantis Shrimp Man Poetry Jam>
"I call this one "Dining on the shores of a dwarven hold with seaweed in my hand."
"Little dwarven man,
You can not blame me."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 03:09:59 pm »

38.01? Thats a very old version. Current version is 31.08. 31.09 will probably be released either this week or next week. A lot of improvements have been made since then.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 03:44:35 pm »

Are you seriously implying that one hundred FPS isn't playable? :o
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 04:41:43 pm »

this thread is the reason some people should not be allowed to see their FPS.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 04:49:24 pm »

Yeah, seriously. 6 FPS? Sure, whine a bit, your game will be slow. 100 FPS and it doesn't make a SINGLE FLOCKING DIFFERENCCE!

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 04:59:37 pm »

Anyway, try to change rendering mode. It can do wonder.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 05:12:41 pm »

It makes a huge difference, since the pacing of the game is tied to the FPS.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 05:12:49 pm »

Pfft, at the end of my 40d fort I was getting less than 1 FPS. Didn't stop me from finishing the giant pit for my entrance bridge to go over.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Darbuk.Ubildolush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 06:23:35 pm »

No, I was implying that 100 FPS is playable, better is.. well.. better... Before the new update I played at a consistent 75 FPS - 125 FPS with 100 Dwarves with water-works.  So the concern isn't that 50 FPS isn't playable, it's fine.. It's just NOT fine with only 7 Dwarves, it bodes ill for the fortresses future.
"Little dwarven man,
You can not blame me."

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 06:39:41 pm »

Do you mind I ask what processor you have and what size map you are on?  Looking for a new one, will give me a point to start at.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 06:52:30 pm »

I currently have an E8400 OC'ed to 3.6ghz, and get around 85ish FPS with 150 dwarves, weather on, in a snowing tundra with a very large fortress. Its a 3x3 embark though. Embark size helps out hugely. You won't run out of room even on a 2x2 embark. Just build vertically. I find that I can comfortably fill up an entire 3x3 embark size for each flood without it being too packed, and then I add on extra levels leading up or down from the main level of the fortress.

My FPS varies by quite a bit depending on how much is going on. All dwarves busy hauling stuff? FPS drops to about 60. Dwarves mostly idle? 200ish FPS.

My dwarves tend to always be busy though. Always more hauling or building to get done. My idlers remain forever at 0.

Darbuk.Ubildolush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 07:07:56 pm »

I missed where there's an extra 80 z levels to every map...

I generally embark on a 6x6...

So.. Math...

2880 additional Z levels in a 6x6.

Soooo... There-in may lay part of my problem, I'm dealing with many more Z levels than I was before.
"Little dwarven man,
You can not blame me."