Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 31.10 and Combat System  (Read 661 times)

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
31.10 and Combat System
« on: July 11, 2010, 12:00:23 pm »

So, now that we had a boost in our combat system I'm wandering...
Is the train function working properly?If yes, how do I manage to train them?
What changes did we get? The release notes.txt is not that helpful.
Am I able to have archers/crossbow-dwarfs?

Since I'm a beginner, two weeks or so playing...How do I manage to have a good combat squad? What's the best weapons and materials(from Copper>Adamantine) for each weapon? Do skills like armor/shield use give advantages?(wiki says no to that, but you know...).

Also, I have a dwarf that kills about anything without getting a scratch(ice wolfs, olms, blizzard mans). Do stronger attacks come by wealth/dwarf population base or do I have to hunt them in the caverns?(I did tried this once, it was empty)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.10 and Combat System
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 12:09:21 pm »

You have always (in 0.31.x) been able to train dwarves by leaving them with no orders. They will individually train.

Going by the dev notes (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/) archers/crossbowdwarves should work in 0.31.9 and above.

Armour use make the dwarf able to carry more/heavier armour without slowing down (effectively lightens the armour). Shield use seems to increase the likelyhood of a dwarf blocking an attack with their shield.

You will get stronger attacks (sieges/spoiler attacks) as you gain population/wealth/time in fortress, but you can also go down into the caverns (the first layer isn't anything to be afraid of really, especially with the new unkillable creatures bug fix) to get more resources (magma). That dwarf is also just lucky.

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.10 and Combat System
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 01:40:30 pm »

Thanks ;)

And what about the materials?