Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mounted Sieges  (Read 1007 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mounted Sieges
« on: July 08, 2010, 12:25:32 pm »

How long does it normally take for a siege to start moving toward your fort?

I have a couple squads of goblins mounted on giant cave swallows carrying out a siege at the moment. However, despite having waited a couple months they have yet to attack. Most don't even mill about. If I attempt to send out squads to deal with them, the swallows fly away. This is particularly troublesome because all but one squad are bowmen. However, even the squad of macegobs flee my dwarves.

I suspect the problem is cave swallows are meant to flee dwarves, despite being tagged as a usable mount for goblins. This may have been exacerbated by an autosave while the siege was spawning.

Is the only solution to save scum?

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mounted Sieges
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 12:29:18 pm »

do you have an open path from the outside to your fort?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 12:36:08 pm »

If nothing else, the siege should eventually get bored and leave.  Or mod your raw files to make giant cave swallows spontaneously combust or something.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 01:31:00 pm »

Word of warning, I had an ambush/seige of 16 pikegoblins sit around the map basically grinding my fortress to a halt with the job interruptions.

Next time was a full blown 80+ siege, the pikegoblins disappeared and then 40 goblins and their mounts overloaded my cage traps and made my hallways run with blood
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:53:33 pm »

do you have an open path from the outside to your fort?

Yes, definitely, as evidenced by my ability to send my two military squads to the death in a hail of arrows.

Or mod your raw files to make giant cave swallows spontaneously combust or something.

Is this still possible? I tried to increase the homeotherm of dogs and cats to reduce the micromanagement of pets, but it didn't seem to work (even after I realized that I had turned temp off and turned it back on for that).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:52:06 pm by Niveras »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 02:50:30 pm »

You can always turn them to be aquatic in the raws.

This is a great way to resolve an already out of control catsplosion as well.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 03:25:26 pm »

You can always turn them to be aquatic in the raws.

This is a great way to resolve an already out of control catsplosion as well.

its also a great way to send your fort into a tantrum spiral.. thats what almost happened with my fort
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 06:37:22 pm »

Looks like giving the swallows to [AQUATIC] solved my problem, more or less. The goblins started moving around once all their mounts were dead, but it also caused them to flee entirely, except for one Mace Lord who's now stuck in a tree. Guess I'll kill him via Aquatic as well, and remove the mount_exotic tag from the swallows to avoid this in the future.

Not sure if they fled because all their mounts died (e.g. fled due to so many losses) or because they'd just been on the map for so long it was time to leave. Probably not the latter since I imagine sieges are expected to last more than a season before the siegers leave, if they can't reach your fort.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:41:46 pm by Niveras »