Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Personality effect on military.  (Read 864 times)

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Personality effect on military.
« on: July 08, 2010, 06:55:00 am »

I know that dwarves with "doesn't do more work than required" will tend not to do individual training on their own time. But do the personality traits have other effects on the behaviour of the dwarves in combat? There are a few traits that sound like they could effect combat: does not like authority, does not panic easily, prone to act without thought, etc.
In fact most of them seem like they could have an effect.

Last night I stationed my axe squad at my main gate ready to lower it and allow them to fight the incoming gobbo siege. As soon as I opened the gate one of the squad immediately ran out and chased down a fox. The others stayed where I put them. Wondering if he had the "prone to act without thought" trait or something (forgot to check at the time).

Also, I'm guessing this is a bug: I set my squad to attack a group of gobbos (using rectangle designate) and they started off towards them, then turned around and went all the way back to the middle of my fort, before setting out again.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Personality effect on military.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 08:07:04 am »

There are a few traits that I have noticed affecting my military.  I have noticed my tougher dwarves ( "doesn't care about anything anymore" "Strong sense of duty" "Likes life of adventure" ect are hands down better warriors than pansy whining peasants.

However, watch out for the sense of duty trait, it might sound like a good thing but if that trait is too strong the dwarf will never want to have a break, which will result in continuous unhappiness from bad-thoughts.
  As the bugger is unhappy when he isn't working and also unhappy when he is, because he never stops working, so always gets the long-duty bad thought and short duty bad thought forever at the same time.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 08:43:42 am »

Ever since I had my soldiers complaining about being drafted in the military in my previous fort I've been handpicking dwarves with more of a warrior mindset. It has worked wonderfully for me! Most of them want to be on continuis duty and get unhappy thoughts when put off duty, they train nonstop and they take extreme amounts of joy in slaughter. They're a happy bunch they are.  8)

Also I've found they less likely to disobay orders and will always stand and fight to the death, unless they have multiple limbs cut off or something. Anyway you're probably best off not picking dwarves that don't want to fight since they'll get unhappy thoughts from being in the military and witnessing lots of death. Some dwarves ust aren't cut out for it.

Hope this helps.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 09:09:24 am »

There are still many bugs involved here, so it's hard to see what's intended. I have noticed that kill orders tend to send dwarves back to their barracks or stockpiles, as if they wanted to change equipment first, which is of course useless when you want them to kill a nearby enemy before he does what you don't want him to do, like shoot up the caravan drivers.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar