Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fort Organization and Idler Dwarfs(Fall Autopsy)  (Read 2424 times)

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fort Organization and Idler Dwarfs(Fall Autopsy)
« on: July 15, 2010, 07:21:09 pm »

So, after running several forts, all of them fall cause of one unique problem: Bad organization and too many idler dwarfs.

The last fort to fall was a above-ground one, I started with trouble to get stones from my mine to the construction site, after two migration waves that problem got solved(around 20 dwarfs pop.). I had plenty labors for food/booze and for construction. Then I got this big wave(around 20 dwarfs) and I decided to specialize them in useful things.

From the 20 dwarfs I decided to make 2 wood burners, to supply the other workshops, I had a Legendary woodcutter by that time, so no problem with wood.
One smelter to smelt all the ores. I made a dump zone and dumped a bunch of ores by his side.(after dumping I claimed the ores)
3 dwarfs to run a clothier, weaver and plant processing with efficient stockpiles. I ordered to make bags.
1 dwarf to make glass. (I made 2 glass furnaces, one with collect  sand on repeat and the other with make raw green glass.
1 Jeweler to cut green glass.
2 craftsdwarfs, one bone carver the other stonecrafter. I had a constant supply of bones from my single wolf-slayer dwarf
One butcher
2  dwarfs to run leathering(making bags also) and tanning
3 dwarfs to soap-making, 1 making lye, 1 ash and the the last soap.

14 dwarfs with job and the 6 last hauling stones, dumping and that sort of stuff.

After a time running with 0 idlers I had a breakdown.
No empty bags was the first sign of doom, glassmaker and jeweler stopped working. All bags got full of seeds, useless seeds.
Then the soap-maker dwarfs stopped working with no apparent reason (I had plenty of Ash and Tallow).
The pigtail>bag also stopped since no more pigtails were available, I had a big farm with 2 master-growers and it was on season. Also I had a legendary plant gather picking the whole surface map.
The leather workshop was in shortage of leather...can't blame my wolf-slayer neither the butcher, none of the dwarfs haulers were brining the corpses to the butcher shop.

Fort in the begging 0 idlers> fort in the fall 30 idler dwarfs.

Any hint why that happen? I'm not good in autopsy....
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:30:31 pm by win32anon »

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Organization and Idler Dwarfs(Fall Autopsy)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 08:54:04 pm »

Megaprojects or mod in more invaders

/thread
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 09:57:25 pm »

/thread

How does this answer the question in the OP??

Now for my question to the OP:  did you have any meeting areas assigned from objects (i.e. table, cage, statue, well etc)? 

If so you could have had too many dwarves attending parties instead of doing what they are supposed to.  Another possibility is that you simply had too many dwarves doing stuff and not enough haulers, but the 30 idle dwarves kind of makes me lean toward the party scenario.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 10:34:06 pm »

/thread

How does this answer the question in the OP??

Now for my question to the OP:  did you have any meeting areas assigned from objects (i.e. table, cage, statue, well etc)? 

If so you could have had too many dwarves attending parties instead of doing what they are supposed to.  Another possibility is that you simply had too many dwarves doing stuff and not enough haulers, but the 30 idle dwarves kind of makes me lean toward the party scenario.

Mega projects are what keep my dwarf's busy, especially when there's no real work to be had. Start small, begin with building some sort of wall around your fortress. It's practical, trains your masons and helps with those cluttered stones.

ANYWAY, a real answer to the OP's question.

If you want a nicely organized fortress, you need to plan certain things before you start digging. Also on a note, seeds of all type are stored in one bag only; plump helmet seeds go in the plump helmet bag, sunshine seeds go in the sunshine seed bag, etc. Simply designate a custom stockpile for seeds next to your farms, and make sure the stockpile is specific to what you're growing; the dwarf's will also place the seeds in a barrel if you designate one to be used.

If you don't know how to make specific stockpiles, there is a dwarfwiki article for that

Alternatively, you can just cook the useless seeds. That's what I do with all above ground plant seeds (except sunshine). Also, cooking helps with the clutter of food.

As for the running out of bags part, simply create a chain for creating pigtails, the dwarf version of hemp.
-Pigtail can only be grown during autumn and summer
-You will need a farmer's workshop to extract the plant fibers, this requires the thresher's skill
-After that you will need create a loom this requires the weaver's skill
-After your weaver has created the cloth, you need a clothier's shop to create bags (skill is obvious)

This little cycle can easily keep half a dozen dwarf's on work even on a small scale! If you want to make things more lucrative, you can create dyes as well. You'll need a quern for that (if you want a more laborious process) or you could construct a wind mill.

It will also help to name your dwarf's profession. Nothing fancy, for example, a mason and carpenter I call him "Furniturer." A stone/leather/wood, just abbreviate it! STN/WD/LTH Crft, using these methods will help you organize labor pool. Also, press 'j' to look at all the current jobs on que.

ANOTHER THING, soap was bugged previous versions. Sometimes when building the workshop, the ablity to mandate soap bars did not appear on the workshop when selected. You had to manually order it from the jobs que ('j'). Just type in soap from the job que, it should appear there.

As for the autopsy of your fort... I have no idea. Managing a 30 population is easy as hell. You really did not mention anything specific to what could've lead your fort to becoming sloth fortress, besides those bags.

edit: Did I mention adding more invaders equals more fun! Well, I did now!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 12:31:06 am »

u also need to realize theirs going to be points where theirs just nothing for the dwarves to do.

Also sounds like you overproduced on farms, which is super easy to do because farming is pretty much noob proof right now

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 10:06:12 pm »

Well I see...
So I should activate hauler labor for more dwarfs to avoid over work for those few haulers. As for that fort I noticed that the only dwarfs that were working was the haulers, no haulers = no jobs.
The soap I did know of this bug and I also had that chain pigtails> thresher >loom>clothier but I guess I run out of pigtails because of the small production and the over demand of that product(small farms). It was winter when the fort fall that explains everything the bags full of seeds and nothing being cultivate.
Thanks everybody, it was very helpful. On towards the next fort.