Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: And the goblins knew fear  (Read 777 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
And the goblins knew fear
« on: July 06, 2010, 10:41:01 am »

Hi again!

Sorry if I'm spamming the forum to much, but I just ran into another curious situation I have a question for.

See the goblins made their first attack, and I prepared the defense well. I won't go in details so to cut the story short there was indeed a lot of cutting, of heads, it was brutal.
Anyway they have decided to ambush me once more and this time they managed to get two of my hard working dwarves before I could detect them nearing my fort. No biggy they weren't that important (who needs 4 metalcrafters anyway) but here's the curious part. I assembled my military like last time, set them at a similar spot where I ambushed  the last party (there were still two rotting goblin corpses I left as a warning sign  :P) and the goblins were nearing my military slowly around a corner. They reached the hall my dwarves were assembled and at the first sign of my bronzen deathmachines they just scattered and ran as fast as they could. They didn't even put up a fight they just ran at first sight. Managed to kill one of them by getting an arrow in one of his legs but the rest escaped.

So my question is, do the goblins learn to fear your dwarves after brutal defeat or was this just coincidence?

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
Re: And the goblins knew fear
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 10:47:29 am »

Apparently they finally received your export of Terror...  Check the 'c' civilization screen, and look at the goblins... ;)
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 12:36:49 pm »

Apparently they finally received your export of Terror...  Check the 'c' civilization screen, and look at the goblins... ;)

Actually, they're the ones exporting Terror and accepting offerings of Vengeance from you.
By comparison, Kobolds export Petty Annoyance and accep offerings of Death.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 12:52:22 pm »

Actually, they're the ones exporting Terror and accepting offerings of Vengeance from you.
By comparison, Kobolds export Petty Annoyance and accep offerings of Death.
So, the whole thing was just an economic misunderstanding?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:50:37 pm »

If the ambushes were very close together, they were probably two groups of the same ambush. Morale does not seem to affect cloaked units, so when you found the second group, the impact of losing the first had already driven them very close to the fleeing point.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 05:51:05 am »

Goblins always flee, when you kill enough ammount (that's for 1 ambush party)
As for another. Well i had some similiar case too. After beating next 3 ambush parties, the 4-th appeared just next to arrived elven caravan. My military was quite far away, so i expected to have 2-3 elves dead. But to my surprise, they actually turned back and ran away, not even paying ANY attention to passing defendless caravan)
Goblins do know fear. Quite well  8)