Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Generating prehistoric and far-future worlds  (Read 1217 times)

Krisnack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Generating prehistoric and far-future worlds
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:46:33 am »

Has anybody ran worlds with settings designed to simulated what the Earth was like in, say, the Phanerozoic or Proterozoic Eon or even before?

Alternatively, what about far in the future, when the Sun has swollen with the passing of time? The oceans are beginning to evaporate, thanks to the heat, and new mountains no longer form, thanks to the slowing of plate tectonic activity and erosion.
halted. One could also go for a "Wellsian" future, based on the The Time Machine, similar the previous example, except that the Earth getting colder due to the cooling Sun.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Generating prehistoric and far-future worlds
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 01:04:05 am »

I've heard of people generating worlds so hot that the seas boil on embark and clothes smoke. So sort of what you're looking for. I did a quick search but can't find what I was thinking of.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 08:47:23 am »

There was a tool for generating specific worlds by using imported topography maps, course, that was for 0.28 so I don't know if it will work now.

You'll probably just have to deal with making these worlds from scratch.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 01:05:17 pm »

There was a tool for generating specific worlds by using imported topography maps, course, that was for 0.28 so I don't know if it will work now.

You'll probably just have to deal with making these worlds from scratch.
But now we have PerfectWorld instead, which is probably the best utility no one knows about.