Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does population cap still affect migrants?  (Read 520 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Does population cap still affect migrants?
« on: July 06, 2010, 11:38:50 am »

I'm trying to keep migrants from coming in too much. Would reducing the population cap still work? Or do I have to use other conventional means?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Does population cap still affect migrants?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 11:41:20 am »

Population cap still affects immigrants, although as before it may take a season or two after you change the cap for it to take effect, and you'll get a few small immigrant waves in your first year anyway.  It does seem to me that in the newest version the game is better about not giving you huge immigrant waves that blow past the population cap.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 12:16:21 pm »

Really? To me it seems as if 31.08 always harasses me with immigrant waves of 7 dwarves in the first summer and the first autumn. My population limit is set to 1, so everything is pushing the population over that.

That's after observing 5 new fortresses, and the amount of immigrants was constantly like that.

With one minor change in that pattern in the latest fortress: I took traditional measures against summer's invasion force aka immigrants by walling them out until 5 out of 7 were dead. The other two I allowed inside. The following invasion force was only 6 dwarves strong then, so it was more manageable.

If you really want Adam&Eve mode, you'll have to wall them out.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 12:25:39 pm »

As I said:  You get a few small immigrant waves in your first year no matter what.  After that the population cap seems to apply.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 02:41:25 pm »

In 40d (and likely earlier), the population cap was only "checked" when the Dwarven caravan arrived and left, which is also when other important things were checked (like whether certain nobles should arrive in the Spring). It's fairly likely that this is still the case.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.