Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege Mode Question  (Read 347 times)

mos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Siege Mode Question
« on: July 06, 2010, 04:06:24 pm »

I haven't played DF in awhile, but the last time I played I was about to build an unbeatable, self-contained fortress, where there was simply no entryway for any enemy to break in through.  Goblin armies would show up and just hang out, because there was no way to get in.

Are there any plans* to add siege weapons to enemy armies that can break down or scale walls, break down doors and light buildings, bridge moats (both lava and water), or set fires to anything within reach?

* I realize this is a loaded question, since DF seems to have plans to add everything. :)

SenorPez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siege Mode Question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 04:19:10 pm »

I think there's been talk about allow siegers to attack and scale walls and dig through soil and rock to get at your fortress.

For now, the impregnible box o' traps is probably your best option, in fact, since the military half of the game is... unreliable... at best.  :'(

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 04:20:43 pm »

# Improved sieges

* Eliminate remaining edge-of-map exploits
    * More highly trained attacking soldiers when approprate
    * Many trap exploits are handled above by requiring more to produce a trap, things like cage traps should make more sense vs. large creatures etc. (respect strength/ability vs. material, large cages might be separate object)
    * Coming up with a plan to overcome pathing obstacles to reach fortress innards
          o Ability to dig (optionally, default on)
          o Ability to build bridges/ramps
          o Ability to use grappling hooks/ladders/climb
    * Learning from mistakes if first attempted assault plan fails badly
          o For instance, if many siegers are killed, caged, etc. in a given hallway, they shouldn't generally go that way again, even if that means building/climbing/digging
    * Siege engine improvements depend on state of boats, lifts/moving fortress sections, since these should all use the same framework

So yeah, it's planned and it's gonna be here soon*.

*soon: It'll be done sometime in the future.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

mos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 04:23:25 pm »

Aha, yes, that is what I was looking for.