Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question regarding storage and barrels.. so forth.  (Read 512 times)

psicop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question regarding storage and barrels.. so forth.
« on: July 06, 2010, 03:09:04 pm »

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to make the dwarfs use the barrels and bins to help with room? I have stockpiles FILLED with fruits and other single items. Can I make the dwarfs use the barrels and bins and cut down on storage? Or is it automatic?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding storage and barrels.. so forth.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 03:23:39 pm »

Press q to go to building options.
You can increase the allowed amount of barrels and bins with e and r.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

SenorPez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 04:23:16 pm »

If I remember correctly, by default, stockpiles are set to the maximum number of bins and barrels that they can hold. That is, if you create a Stone stockpile, it'll start at 0, if you create a Finished Goods stockpile, it'll start at MAX bins, if you create a Food stockpile, it'll start at MAX barrels, etc. Since you can then further change the stockpile settings, you can also set the number of bins and barrels you want to use in that stockpile. For example, by "for construction" block pile is almost always set to 0 bins instead of MAX.

Bins and barrels can only hold so much stuff, though, so you probably want to make more. Depending on your industry and your embark, it's usually easier to build with wood, but iron containers certainly aren't that expensive, and will train up Blacksmithing labour nicely.

The other handy thing is to set Reserved Barrels and Bins. Bins aren't that big of a deal, but I like to have reserved barrels for brewing purposes.

psicop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 06:20:17 pm »

Thanks guys, I think that should work for me.

Love this forum!