Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Succession games with multiple graphics packs?  (Read 1902 times)

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
Succession games with multiple graphics packs?
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:38:39 am »

First off hello, and I hope you can help with the question.

I am a member of the ctrl+alt+delete (a web comic) forum, and upon discovering a few DF players on there, I figured a succession game would be most enjoyable.

However, while we've agreed to use the 40d version (as the majority of us are more familiar with that one) we find ourselves using a wide variety of graphics packs, although some are using the standard ASCII. We want to know if there is any compatibility issues between the various packs and the standard, leading to the question I ask you.

Any input into this would be grateful, in terms of compatability issues and how we should proceed. One potential method I can think of is to vote on a single graphics pack and then have someone with said pack upload his version to the forum for us to use, but that would be inconsiderate to those who use other packs.

Many thanks,

Lucky
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession games with multiple graphics packs?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 04:48:59 am »

It depends on the graphics pack, i know some modify the game data and some don't. I'd recommend voting on a gfx pack.
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 05:53:49 am »

Or, you could all switch to a pack none of you use, so that everyone is new to it.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 07:34:48 am »

Or, you could all switch to a pack none of you use, so that everyone is new to it.

This seems like it would be most in keeping with the spirit of succession games.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:36:37 am »

This seems like it would be most in keeping with the spirit of succession games.

No, I think that the spirit of succession games would be to have everyone use a different tileset on purpose  :P
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:39:17 am »

You might want to check out DFConfig (has a tile switcher) or Lazy Newb Pack (includes DFConfig, among other things)

Though, I'm not sure they support 40d.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 05:26:41 pm »

Shouldn't be a problem with most graphic sets, but Mayday does include some RAW changes and wouldn't work.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 10:17:32 pm »

You might want to check out DFConfig (has a tile switcher) or Lazy Newb Pack (includes DFConfig, among other things)

Though, I'm not sure they support 40d.

(I Made DFConfig)

These are not for 40d, sorry.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 10:21:15 pm »

As long as you manually placed and modified the graphics files, and didn't touch the raws, instead of using a premade graphics pack, you will be golden.  And most likely covered in mud, vomit, and water.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 04:15:11 am »

Shouldn't be a problem with most graphic sets, but Mayday does include some RAW changes and wouldn't work.

What RAWs were changed?
Steam page!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 04:48:01 am »

The Mayday graphics pack changes some of the graphics-tile definitions in the raw files, in order to suit the graphics set, and so it can use tiles in the font that are otherwise unused by the game (after all, why not?).

In 40d, these changes shouldn't matter, since your local settings should override those changes, but sometimes they come with other mods bundled; for instance, Mayday's includes the economic stones mod, which alters the reaction file(s), which is generally considered bad news to modify in the middle of a game.

In the newer versions, it gets worse, because the raws for a world get saved with it after generation, meaning that if that save is given to someone using the default graphics, things might look a little odd if it was generated using a graphics pack that changed those definitions.

For these reasons, I wouldn't recommend doing a succession game unless everybody agrees to use the same version of the same graphics pack, or if nobody uses any raw-modifying graphics pack at all.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 06:52:17 am »

The Mayday graphics pack changes some of the graphics-tile definitions in the raw files, in order to suit the graphics set, and so it can use tiles in the font that are otherwise unused by the game (after all, why not?).

In 40d, these changes shouldn't matter, since your local settings should override those changes, but sometimes they come with other mods bundled; for instance, Mayday's includes the economic stones mod, which alters the reaction file(s), which is generally considered bad news to modify in the middle of a game.

In the newer versions, it gets worse, because the raws for a world get saved with it after generation, meaning that if that save is given to someone using the default graphics, things might look a little odd if it was generated using a graphics pack that changed those definitions.

For these reasons, I wouldn't recommend doing a succession game unless everybody agrees to use the same version of the same graphics pack, or if nobody uses any raw-modifying graphics pack at all.

Ah, okay thank you. We're going to be holding a vote for the graphics pack, but any suggestions? decent ones that don't alter the raw files (or at least don't have any mods like the stone one - which out of curiosity, can I ask what it does?)
Steam page!

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 07:10:13 am »

If everyone has to use a graphics pack, why use a graphics pack at all?  Surely you may as well just use the standard ascii?  The same number of people are going to have to learn what symbols mean what.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 11:12:15 am »

The economic stones mod makes every stone an economic stone, using some funky thing with reactions.  This allows you to toggle the usage of any stone and every stone at will.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 03:12:24 pm »

I highly recommend the Mayday tileset doubly so due to the economic stone mod.
Only a simple mind can be certain.