Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do you have to tame animals to breed them?  (Read 509 times)

Xenxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you have to tame animals to breed them?
« on: July 09, 2010, 03:47:18 am »

Ok so i caught a male/female pair of monkeys and I want to breed them for use in the upcoming Colosseum I am building. But say i get a new type of animal and i tame and breed that too...they wont fight eachother because they are both tame.

Is there a way for me to breed 2 types of animals that will still kill eachother? or am I just out of luck. When i doubt I could always just throw some goblins in there.....

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have to tame animals to breed them?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 04:48:20 am »

Wild animals do breed if a pregnant female stays on the map long enough for it to give birth.

I don't think wild animals fight each other at all. They might attack goblins/kobold however. This may be related to the [LARGE_PREDATOR] tag, which I belive make animals attack dwarves. And if you are using them to fight goblins you might as well tame them anyway.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 07:25:50 am »

Wild animals don't fight other wild animals.  If you want two animals to fight, one has to be wild and the other tame.

Wild animals will theoretically breed, provided that they stay on the map long enough, but at the moment animals with the [PET_EXOTIC] tag only seem to breed if you have a dungeon master.  And the dungeon master seems to show up rarely if ever in DF2010, so in practice [PET_EXOTIC] animals don't breed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:36:55 am »

Wild Animals breed.

I had a Cougar or something give birth as it was trying to kill my legendary sworddwarf.

To this day I don't know why he was bashing it with his shield, he's never had a problem with using his sword before.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 09:19:51 am »

I believe that it's been known for female tame animals in the fort to be knocked up (via spores) by merchant animals.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 09:23:36 am »

Wild Animals breed.

I had a Cougar or something give birth as it was trying to kill my legendary sworddwarf.

To this day I don't know why he was bashing it with his shield, he's never had a problem with using his sword before.

Maybe he had the sword lodged somewhere in the animal and lost his grip.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.