Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf PTSD and other questions  (Read 932 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf PTSD and other questions
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:03:47 pm »

I recently had almost an entire squad of dwarf militia slaughtered at the hands of some goblins thanks to the equipment glitch making them run out with both iron and training weapons but choosing to use the training weapons.

Anyway, there was one survivor, who now appears to have PTSD or something, all he does is train. He eats, drinks and sleeps (though only in the barracks) but the thing is not only is he not set to train (nor is the barracks), he's not even in the military any more. Literally all he's doing is training, though. Is this some kind of bug, or is it a genuine thing?

Second question, is there a workaround for the aformentioned equipment glitch? I switched from a training uniform to a battle uniform and they retained their weapons and shields from the training uniform. This resulted them running into battle with 2 pairs of axes and shields, one iron and the other wooden, and only using the wooden set.

Finally, much less importantly, does the CTRL key do anything or is it unassigned?

Thanks.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf PTSD and other questions
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 02:26:04 pm »

For the first question, yes, it is a bug, though I think it's been fixed (?) as of 31.08.  Which version are you running?

As for the second, I have no idea, but a lot of people know a lot of incantations which have varying degrees effectiveness.  I'm more of the opinion that military dwarves would better serve dwarfkind by being masons/mechanics and assembling elaborate deathtraps.  More effective, less glitchy, and way more satisfying.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 02:26:18 pm »

Second question, is there a workaround for the aformentioned equipment glitch? I switched from a training uniform to a battle uniform and they retained their weapons and shields from the training uniform. This resulted them running into battle with 2 pairs of axes and shields, one iron and the other wooden, and only using the wooden set.
The solution is to never make training uniforms.  I've only ever equipped my dwarves with steel armor and weapons, and they've never managed to injure each other during training.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 02:35:58 pm »

I know that CTRL + R is used to toggle keyboard macro recording, CTRL + S saves the macro, CTRL + L loads a macro, and CTRL + P plays the  loaded macro. There might be other keys but I don't know what they would be.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 02:42:02 pm »

Thankyou for the answers everyone! Rodya, I'm running 31.08, though I noticed some weirdness with the squads after everyone died. Originally the squad contained the militia commander and 3 axedwarves. When 3 of them were killed, looking back, the militia commander position was vacant, and the last remaining dwarf (Urist McTrainalot) was now the captain of the guard for some strange reason. Maybe this has something to do with it, or vice versa? Any ideas anyone?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 06:48:45 pm »

Thankyou for the answers everyone! Rodya, I'm running 31.08, though I noticed some weirdness with the squads after everyone died. Originally the squad contained the militia commander and 3 axedwarves. When 3 of them were killed, looking back, the militia commander position was vacant, and the last remaining dwarf (Urist McTrainalot) was now the captain of the guard for some strange reason. Maybe this has something to do with it, or vice versa? Any ideas anyone?

In the military, in both real life and DF, if the guy above you is killed  you're promoted up in that squad unless the general (that's you) doesn't let him keep the changes  ;)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 05:41:22 am »

Odd, PTSD guy just randomly came out of his self-exile and isolated training as a High Master Axedwarf, and has now rejoined my military and is continuing as normal. And by normal, I mean getting stuck on organising/waiting for training like everyone else *sigh*

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 10:55:13 am »

Can I interject, and suggest that PTDSD (Post-Traumatic Dwarven Stress Syndrome) be implemented in the game?
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 02:45:39 pm »

Can I interject, and suggest that PTDSD (Post-Traumatic Dwarven Stress Syndrome) be implemented in the game?

Other than the name, it kind of already is. I had a dwarf who lost his lower right arm in battle. He just sat in a corner constantly. He was always supposedly "on his way to individual training" but the only time he moved from this corner (in a stockpile, of all places) is when he needed food or drink, then he returned to the corner. I'm pretty sure he was on his way to madness, but I abandoned the fort before he got there, for unrelated reasons.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 02:49:25 pm »

Other than the name, it kind of already is. I had a dwarf who lost his lower right arm in battle. He just sat in a corner constantly. He was always supposedly "on his way to individual training" but the only time he moved from this corner (in a stockpile, of all places) is when he needed food or drink, then he returned to the corner. I'm pretty sure he was on his way to madness, but I abandoned the fort before he got there, for unrelated reasons.

Well, what I had in mind was a little different. Whereas he was a heavily wounded combat veteran, I just want dwarves to snap when things go wrong in general- for example, at the end of Boatmurdered, the entire population should have been burnt out husks.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.