Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist is demanding rock bars,help!  (Read 990 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Urist is demanding rock bars,help!
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:37:01 am »

I have a fey mood dwarf and he has taken over a carpenters workshop he is demanding rock bars i have built wooden blocks,and i am trying to melt items but it just isn't happening.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Urist is demanding rock bars,help!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 02:38:12 am »

I have a fey mood dwarf and he has taken over a carpenters workshop he is demanding rock bars i have built wooden blocks,and i am trying to melt items but it just isn't happening.
From what I've heard: "Rock" bars=Metal bars.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 03:21:20 am »

How do i make a metal bar?they are not melting my copper nuggets

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 03:26:13 am »

Do you have coal or charcoal? If you don't, you can easily make charcoal. Build a wood furnace, set to make charcoal, and once you have some, go to your smelter, and make copper out of those nuggets.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 07:38:55 am »

Are you trying to melt them via the Melt Metal Object task? That won't work. Use the "Smelt <ore>" tasks, there should be one for every ore and alloy you can smelt.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 09:59:24 am »

Are you trying to melt them via the Melt Metal Object task? That won't work. Use the "Smelt <ore>" tasks, there should be one for every ore and alloy you can smelt.
How do i do that?What i am doing is pressing k and once my cursor is over them,designating them for melt.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 11:34:12 am »

Designating "nuggets" for melting will give you "native [metal] bars", which probably isn't what you want. What you need to do is build a Smelter (if you don't have one already), press [q], then [a]dd a task to "Smelt [ore]". Incidentally, this is the same place where you would need to add a task to melt a metal object - marking them with [m] alone will not do anything at all.

Incidentally, when you look at your moody dwarf's thoughts and preferences, what are the first 2 materials listed?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 01:50:39 am »

Designating "nuggets" for melting will give you "native [metal] bars", which probably isn't what you want. What you need to do is build a Smelter (if you don't have one already), press [q], then [a]dd a task to "Smelt [ore]". Incidentally, this is the same place where you would need to add a task to melt a metal object - marking them with [m] alone will not do anything at all.

Incidentally, when you look at your moody dwarf's thoughts and preferences, what are the first 2 materials listed?
He just wants "rock bars" and logs.And I can't find the smelter build thing anywhere.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:53:32 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 01:55:20 am »

He just wants "rock bars" and logs.
That doesn't answer the question.

Quietust means the dwarf's PREFERENCES found inside the profile page of the dwarf. Not what he wants for the artifact.

And I can't find the smelter build thing anywhere.
Erm. b-e-s to build a smelter.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:57:42 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 02:28:28 am »

He just wants "rock bars" and logs.And I can't find the smelter build thing anywhere.

If you have built a smelter (b -> e -> s) and there is available fuel to burn, you can hit Q, highlight the smelter, and any ore on your map which can be smelted into bars will be on its menu. Otherwise, it will have a note about checking for available fuel and resources. If you set up a magma smelter, you don't need fuel.

Also, if what Quietust said works, then you can effectively make "rock bars" as long as you have a smelter and fuel. That should satisfy the moody dwarf. Smelting ore through the smelter menu will give you metal bars, and making blocks from the ore in a mason's shop will give you rock blocks, and as far as I can tell, those won't satisfy a request for "rock bars".
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 05:14:16 am »

My strange dwarf likes Orpiment and Billon whatever the hell they are.(edit)He made a....its a...its a-a fucking animal trap.this is a babob wooden animal trap,it is studded with copper,it is adorned with hanging rings of palm and menaces with spikes of babob,on the item is a picture of a cave chili in babob.Grrrrrrr.....What workshop makes glass?Im putting it in a display case.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 05:23:14 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 12:03:06 pm »

I THINK glass windows are made at a glassmaker's somethingorother. You might find that in the same place you found the smelter. You'll generally need sand to make glass, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.