Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spar VS Combat Drills  (Read 1991 times)

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spar VS Combat Drills
« on: July 04, 2010, 03:40:17 am »

I have a barracks designated, their training schedules set, and their alert status on active/training and all they seem to do is wait for the militia captain to organize some sort of training. They'd sparred before but now it seems that, that's all they do.

How do I designate them to spar rather than sit there and wait endlessly.

Please and Thank you.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spar VS Combat Drills
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 04:02:08 am »

AFAIK, explicit training is broken. You have to set them active, then leave them idle and they'll do individual training in a barracks.
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 04:03:59 am »

Thanks for the speedy reply :].

They're training alright, but I find Combat Drills really pointless. I'm trying to get them to spar...but no avail.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 04:38:25 am by xDarkz »

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 07:03:09 am »

Thanks for the speedy reply :].

They're training alright, but I find Combat Drills really pointless. I'm trying to get them to spar...but no avail.

Pointless? I dont agree with you. I've got 6 legendary soldiers in my army. They just rape every goblin ambush with ease. And all what they've done so far is combat drills. It may be long, but if you leave your soldier with no skills for 1-1.5 year he will become legendary warrior. (Legendary *weapon*dwarf and Fighter)

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 07:18:54 am »

I had amature warriors in simple iron armor rape any goblin on sight.

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 08:01:34 am »

AFAIK, explicit training is broken. You have to set them active, then leave them idle and they'll do individual training in a barracks.

So you mean set the CIV status to active/train and leave the other active setting as inactive?

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 09:30:24 am »

sparring frightens me.  I wish there was a feature so you could set them to train with.. well training weapons but switch to real ones as soon as they stop.

the last time I tried letting them spar my madman militia commander killed 3 fully armored dworfs.

one was ALREADY wounded from a last sparring session, and resting in the barracks (didn't have a hospital yet) with a broken arm, cuts all over and a damaged throat; but this was just seen as wasting time by the MC and he started sparring with him WHILST THE GUY WAS UNCONSCIOUS

you can imagine how it went.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 09:36:28 am »

sparring frightens me.  I wish there was a feature so you could set them to train with.. well training weapons but switch to real ones as soon as they stop.

the last time I tried letting them spar my madman militia commander killed 3 fully armored dworfs.

one was ALREADY wounded from a last sparring session, and resting in the barracks (didn't have a hospital yet) with a broken arm, cuts all over and a damaged throat; but this was just seen as wasting time by the MC and he started sparring with him WHILST THE GUY WAS UNCONSCIOUS

You got them to spar? How?

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 10:12:14 am »

regular training schedule. I know it's broken and it's best to leave them with no order to do ind. training but sometimes it still works so I like to give them a schedule of 3 months individual drills, then one month training, then 3 again as individual etc.

Usually helped them balance some of the other skills in, but I'd never seen them sparring before till 31.08. they still tried to organize demonstrations, I'd see the occasional spar here or there, then all of a sudden that was all they would do. my 3 squads of 4 dwarves each all sparring eachother, the casualties were too great and we had to retreat from ourselves
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:14:18 am by shoowop »

SeigeOps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 01:45:33 pm »

Usually helped them balance some of the other skills in, but I'd never seen them sparring before till 31.08. they still tried to organize demonstrations, I'd see the occasional spar here or there, then all of a sudden that was all they would do. my 3 squads of 4 dwarves each all sparring eachother, the casualties were too great and we had to retreat from ourselves
If I remember correctly, Toady said that, as soon as the militia commander considers his men ready (depending on his caution level), he'll have them spar. I'm guessing that it was a little too early for them.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 06:29:37 pm »

Wow, your commander is really harsh dwarf. I mean... spartan one. He decided, that wounded soldier is no use anymore, thus ending his pitiful life...

For 14 years i've got only 2 spars. One - Shem the legendary spearman against Kol the legendary hammerdwarf (A long fighting ended with one strike - Shem managed to hit Kol into arm, and the last went to rest) and the second - Besmar the legendary spearman against Reg the legendary swordwarf (ended with Besmar piercing hard Reg's arm, the last went to rest).
As you can see, my soldiers reckon with their fellows in arms.  :) At least they stop by first blood.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 02:48:43 am »

Wow, your commander is really harsh dwarf. I mean... spartan one. He decided, that wounded soldier is no use anymore, thus ending his pitiful life...

I later had some engravers describe the events as him "striking down urist mcswordsdman. he is laughing menacingly"