Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Populations  (Read 431 times)

Jztiberius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Populations
« on: July 07, 2010, 08:27:24 pm »

I like playing the same world as long as possible. But my fear is the size of the population, especially goblin but everyone else too. Are the populations fixed and non increasing? Is there a birthrate for every population or does all but your fort stop at world gen? I have played my world for 20 years on several forts. I looked around and there does not seem to be many posts on this and I could not find anything on the wiki..
Help is appreciated.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: World Populations
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:51:15 pm »

Once worldgen stops, the entire world stops with it. Children born just before the end of worldgen never grow into adults, no one new is born into the world outside your fortress. Source.
However, if you're worried about running out of goblins to slaughter, they will never stop besieging you. Even if you have annihilated the entire population with your forts, there will always be some randomly generated for your convenience because the only thing that can truly destroy a civ fully is the world generator. The same goes for migrants and merchants. Source.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: World Populations
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 09:23:51 pm »

I dunno, goblins stopped sieging me after a couple decades of repeated ass-kickings by my dwarves back in 40d.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.