Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting magma from magma-sea to surface  (Read 7023 times)

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting magma from magma-sea to surface
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:50:55 am »

What's the easiest way to do it?
What do I need?

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting magma from magma-sea to surface
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 03:08:44 am »

Easiest way is to find an embark with a magma vent sticking out of the surface. But i think these are rare. You could build a pump stack out of Bauxite. A lot of it, i suppose, depending on how deep it is. Just make sure you don't let it into your fortress or anything, or you'll get to have some Fun.
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 05:17:17 am »

Do ALL the components have to be magma-safe? IT WILL TAKE A ETERNITY! The magma is about 60 levels bellow surface!

CaveIn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 06:50:11 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59894.0 is the most dwarfy solution I have seen to do this :)
I can see my hammer dwarf standing next to a beat bloody elf asking :"How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"....."What do you mean you don't know?!" *BANG there goes another rib*

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 11:06:22 am »

Not all the components have to be magma-safe. Check the wiki for which ones. I can't remember.

As long as magma is never on the passable tile of the pump, you should be fine, but there's some caveat about the mechanisms.

And yeah, that method takes forever.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 11:35:28 am »

Pumps do not need to be magma-safe unless you have magma actually on the walkable pump tile (since magma can't get on the other tile anyway). Wooden (or other non fire-safe material, depending on mods you have) ones may degrade depending on how long you leave them running, how it is set up and your luck.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 12:01:28 pm »

I was curious about this, too, and decided to test it out. Grabbed a volcano and an embark group with a bunch of carpenters and pump operators, and built some wooden pumps. They exploded in roughly ten seconds. So...yeah. It's entirely possible that some parts of the pump don't need to be magma-safe, but I'd say fireproof is a good thing to aim at. For that, you'll need either glass or metal for your screws and pipes...and since you have magma, that should be pretty simple...?

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 12:55:59 pm »

Easiest way is to find an embark with a magma vent sticking out of the surface. But i think these are rare. You could build a pump stack out of Bauxite. A lot of it, i suppose, depending on how deep it is. Just make sure you don't let it into your fortress or anything, or you'll get to have some Fun.

in 2010 there are many more magma safe materials, no need to restrict yourself to bauxite.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 02:44:53 pm »

I made my pump stack out of iron and andesite. Worked fine.

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 04:55:50 am »

A pump made with magma-safe metal pipes and screws and with magma-safe metal blocks or magma-safe stone blocks is fully magma-safe. A pump made with glass pipes and screws or any type ofVerify metal pipes and screws, and glass blocks, any type of metal blocks, or magma-safe stone blocks is magma-safe as long as no magma ever occupies the passable tile of the pump. Pumps made with wooden components or with non-magma-safe stone blocks will deconstruct soon after they begin pumping magma.

Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Magma-safe_materials#ixzz0snfaMLPe

Humm...Wat? explain please...

CaveIn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 05:40:17 am »

A pump made with magma-safe metal pipes and screws and with magma-safe metal blocks or magma-safe stone blocks is fully magma-safe.
The pump is in all scenarios magma-safe.
A pump made with glass pipes and screws or any type ofVerify metal pipes and screws, and glass blocks, any type of metal blocks, or magma-safe stone blocks is magma-safe as long as no magma ever occupies the passable tile of the pump.
Magmasafe as long as magma doesn't go on top of the tile that pump operators stand on.
###
#%#
#%#
#~#

^the green one
Pumps made with wooden components or with non-magma-safe stone blocks will deconstruct soon after they begin pumping magma.
Never magma-safe.
I can see my hammer dwarf standing next to a beat bloody elf asking :"How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"....."What do you mean you don't know?!" *BANG there goes another rib*