Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ... Wat. [titan Fun related]  (Read 1844 times)

saru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
... Wat. [titan Fun related]
« on: July 03, 2010, 07:16:52 pm »

So I just had a huge feathered stegosauroid show up. Awesome. It moves ponderously and I am to beware its webs.
Here's the strange/not-awesome part.
It just entered my fortress... through the irrigation/well channel, from the brook.
That part isn't surprising.
Until you know that the opening from the brook into this channel is a fortification.

That's right. I just had a forgotten beast squeeze through an underwater fortification. I don't know if this is a bug or what. But man. Oh well. It's crawling up the channel. Let's see what happens when it meets the military stationed in the well room. I'm sure this will be Fun.

... Oh what the hell.
Literally, as I was typing that last sentence, A Vile Force of Darkness arrived. Wow. This is... new.
I'll report back with how it's going.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: ... Wat. [titan Fun related]
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 08:01:19 pm »

That thing with the fortifications happens once in a while. Nobody seems to know exactly how it happens; the general explanation is that the creature was pushed there by a flow, but some people say it's happened to them in 7/7 water, which doesn't push things.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 08:23:38 pm »

Wow.  Updates on the carnage?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 08:27:05 pm »

what im curious about is if you can get forgotten beast silk... traps him and take his webs for expensive silk
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 08:31:06 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, right now the game considers FB/titan material to be default-value, unfortunately. I could be wrong.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

saru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 08:49:51 pm »

So a couple things happened. My lovable ocean titan (is that why it could go through the grate? It's not like it's composed of ocean or anything. And it was definitely 7/7 water) wandered slowly down the channel... then decided stairs were too hard or something. It's sitting at the base of my well. It seems happy enough there.
The same is actually true of the goblin ambush. I haven't even sealed off the fort or anything. The standard trap laden, catapult facing corridor stretches before them. But they sit there on the other side of the map, stymied, perhaps, by the brook. Could it be because they're lead by a goblin on a flying mount? I seem to remember somebody saying flying mounts are bugged right now.
I even realized that my sun-lit statue garden and above ground farms don't even have complete roofs. Yet the bat rider seems uninterested.
Bemused, I had my military stand down to go back to training, and extended my "inside" burrow to include the perpetual goblinite veined front hall (is it just me, or are catapults more effective in the new version?).

I got back to building my epic magma pump tower, and mining about. Preparing to dig a 7x31x31 tree farm beneath my fortress, and an obsidian farm beneath that.
Before I get started, I decided to reveal more of the underground caverns, having finally discovered the middle one when my pump tower breached a single block of it.
I'm extending a tunnel from the stairs that service the temporary magma forge sub-fort out to a wall, intending to carve a fortification there.
One tile is dug. Two things happen. A long scrolling list of "You have discovered <stone, ore, gem>", and then, a zoom in and boxed message. About a forgotten beast. A shelled frog with poisonous spittle and dark pink skin. It immediately hurtles towards the opening, and, well, now the delayed Fun is starting.
It caught an accomplished gem cutter on the way up the stairs, hauling some rough glass (why he couldn't have used the stock-pile directly under his workshop, I don't know, but whatever).
My two-full-squadron strong army has been directed to Move to the base of the stairs. Hopefully they'll intersect it before it kills another high master crafter of some sort.

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 08:59:20 pm »

Interesting.  I guess I need to rethink the waterworks for my (mostly) impenetrable fortress.  I'm supposing a submerged channel/drawbridge type of seal won't work against building destroyers if they can survive in water.  Or are raised drawbridges still indestructible?

saru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 09:22:18 pm »

I've heard that right now, building destroyers can't destroy things above them. You could try a short tunnel 1 z-level underneath the brook, that ends directly underneath the main tunnel to your water works. Cover the channel hole between them with a hatch.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 09:35:33 pm »

You could do something along the lines of...

FXXXXXF
NNNDNNN

F = flood gate hooked up to switch A
X = flood gate hooked up to switch B
N = walls
D = door of some sort

If I remember right, don't floodgates destroy water? So you raised both sets of floodgates, lower X, build a wall to the left and right of door after removing floodgates of X 2 and 4.

It sounds complicated... it kind of is... but you'd be having a wall to protect your water supply instead of a destroyable building.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 02:10:28 am »

Right.  For the impenetrable defense, you need something like this:

Code: [Select]
Side view

~~
 ~ #%%
 ~~~

So your water drops down, gets covered by a grate, and is then pumped out by screw pump.  Bad guys can't break the grate, at least not from below.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 01:34:26 pm »

You have an ocean titan living in your well?

That's kinda cool, actually.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 06:45:21 pm »

I wonder what it tastes like.
Also, drop zone for babies.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 06:11:47 am »

Any chance you can get the titan and the forgotten beast to fight?  Harryhausen Fortress!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

saru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 12:19:50 pm »

Any chance you can get the titan and the forgotten beast to fight?  Harryhausen Fortress!

That would've been absurdly awesome, but also would've required somehow leading the shelled frog up about 60 z-levels, then finding a way to get it near the well and drop it down.
Aside from which, I've managed to kill it.
Why are the most poorly trained and equipped soldiers always the fastest responders? I got a high-master armorer pumping out * and triple bar steel plate, along with several axelords, but who charges into the fray? The novice hammerdwarf and skill-less recruit, and so on, all still wearing pig-tail fabric or leather.

The Forgotten beast stuck around in the stair well for a little while, slowly torturing a farmer to death (don't worry, a butcher/tanner/thresher/miller/etc, not a skilled cook, grower, or brewer.)
The unskilled military mentioned above arrive and start to beat on the freakish thing. There's a long list of "Wrestler pushes the Forgotten Beast, but the attack glances away!" "The Hammerdwarf strikse the forgotten beast in the butt with his iron shield, but the attack glances away!"
At first I'm glad that the Terror of the Crevices (weirdly appropriate long name), at least isn't damaging the recruits much, but then I realize he's still ripping the farmer limb from limb. He finishes, and then in moments has obliterated four of the dwarves facing him. At one point, a recruit dies after colliding with an obstacle. I search through the reports to find that the forgotten beast has thrown said recruit by the tooth.
The hammerdwarf is actually holding out. I think he must have a high agility, because the forgotten beast keeps hurtling at him and slamming into walls.
FINALLY an axelord wanders by the scene, and needs only a few moves to render the beast into bits, eventually bifuricating it.

Really, not all that bad an outcome. Now I need to figure out what to do with the Ocean Titan in my well, and the horde of goblins standing across the ravine.