Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first short story in a loooong time, would like feedback please :)  (Read 1002 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A couple of days ago I finished writing a short story, the first one I've written in a long time (got angry after losing all my stories to a hard drive failure and my own stupidity in not backing them up, so I stopped writing for a while) and I'd like some feedback to see if I'm really any good at it. I've only ever shown my stories to close family and friends and I figure they're probably biased :P I'd honestly prefer writing fantasy, especially high fantasy, but I had a sudden inspiration to write this instead. It has some disturbing imagery, just so you know. It's also quite long.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any feedback :)

Oh, and I'm aware that I can't paragraph to save my life, sorry :P
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 06:56:02 am by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Re: My first short story in a loooong time, would like feedback please :)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:41:14 am »

Here I am!

First of all, I'd like to address fellow forumites. Shame on you for being daunted by the length of the piece. Had you got past the first two paragraphs, it would have carried you through after that.

I mean, action! Also, monsters, zombies and mutants.

So, feedback. Tense shifting. Not the most grating I've seen, but it's there. The mild nature is probably "helped" by it not being radical - you shift constantly, and kind of slightly. And actually, not only tense shifting, but also, place shifting. To elaborate - your story appears to be happening a little in the past relative to the point from which the protagonist is writing. But emotions, you always write them in the present tense, even though, logically, they belong to the past. Somewhat the same with the place - the story is happening in some other place, but sometimes you write "here" as if it's where the author is.

Well, anyway. I advise you try to imagine that you're really telling it to someone, or better find someone to tell it to. You don't put emotions in like that when you tell a story to a friend.

Other thing is, you've got some sudden cuts, like that "Oh, god". It's confusing, it stands out in the text and feels like it's you yourself who accidentally typed it in when you remembered that you should actually get to zombies by then. And at the end of the Stickler description. You end it abruptly, and the protagonist starts running, without really tying the description to the thing that he saw in front of him in a place that you haven't described yet.

I hope this helps, and also check out the Bay Writers Guild, a link to which you can find in my signature (the one ending with "writers" obviously). We do writing exercises there, if you're interested in learning.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first short story in a loooong time, would like feedback please :)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 12:30:25 pm »

Thank you for the feedback, I was afraid I wasn't going to get any :P The points you make are indeed fair ones, I honestly hadn't thought of it as a piece of writing, per say, I was inspired whilst walking my dog on day and it just kind of fell out of my head. Lets call this copy a first draft and I'll work on the advice you've given me. Thank you! :)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."