Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Communicative diseases?  (Read 828 times)

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Communicative diseases?
« on: July 03, 2010, 12:44:51 am »

I ran a quick search through the DF suggestions and I didn't notice anything about diseases that spread like the cold and flu.  This idea seems like if it was poorly executed it could be more annoying then interesting, but it might be a bit of fun.

I was thinking something along the lines dwarves that contract the disease (either randomly or through contact with dwarves that have it) will have a few days of incubation, then find themselves feeling ill and retire to bed (maybe only doing very important jobs, i.e. operating a catapult or pulling a nearby lever).  Maybe the symptoms could be randomly generated for added fun.  Doctors could diagnose patients and if serious enough administer aid.  Perhaps dorfs could even have a personality trait that makes them either not care about sickness (Continue working through it, unless told to rest) or hypochondriac dorfs who will retire to bed if they even hear about illness.

The main problems I foresee is how a well timed epidemic could wreck a fort against invaders, which is why I think that the symptoms should be rather small, and not every dwarf contacted should contract the illness.  Depending on if hygiene is ever implemented, particularly dirty and blood-spattered forts might attract diseases of greater and more dangerous magnitude, like a real bubonic plague.  Or maybe an elf would give a dwarf a disease, and their hippy-itis might have a more acute affect because it's a cross species transfer, the possibilities are endless

As a final note, I would like to bring up one more point.
Forgotten Beasts composed of disease, or belch out contagious epidemics.
Painful, painful epidemics.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Communicative diseases?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 02:54:33 am »

Diseases should also have varying methods of transfer. Coughing and sneezing produces small invisible clouds that have a chance of infecting creatures within them. Waterborne disease spreads though rivers and sewers(once poop is implemented). Skin-to-skin transfer results from multiple dwarves in the same tile. Animals and vermin should also become diseased and act and transfer vectors.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 01:53:05 pm »

Maybe infectious miasma could infect?A whole new reason to cremate your dead

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 07:26:35 pm »

Great ideas, especially the symptom based travel.  Different diseases could have different ways to spread, and with the implementation of dormitory-things with free beds, sleeping in the a bed previously used by an infected person would be a high chance to infect.  Unburied dead could spawn infections as well.

Another idea is that a fortress has a "Health" rating, based on the amount of miasma, vermin, unburied corpses, health care, and other factors to determine how dangerous the diseases would be.  Like, a really rank and disgusting fortress would spawn really nasty diseases and a fairly clean fortress would just a wimpy cold from time to time.