Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What do you do with YOUR nickel?  (Read 8130 times)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with YOUR nickel?
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2010, 03:03:37 pm »

I'm not quite sure how Dwarves can extract it from garnierite so easily (a maximum of 34% nickel content by weight does not a compelling ore make), but these are the same alcoholic manic-depressives that can build an inverted fractal pyramid, so what do I know?

That's because you're looking at it from a Age of Fairy Tales standard where the only ore we have left is the stuff dwarves wouldn't even use as a paperweight. Sure, garnierite has about a 34% yield at most now, but back in the day (before the end of the Age of Heroes anyway), it was pure nickel.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2010, 03:06:21 pm »

Then it's not garnierite. At all.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2010, 03:07:47 pm »

Operation: Stripmine is underway.  I have 380 nickel bins filled with marble blocks so far, 3800 blocks total.  They'll produce a nice pyramid somewhere on the other side of the continent where there is absolutely no marble anywhere for miles, and produce a nice question and a nice discovery for future adventurers.

Also: a Garnierite stone weighs 186 units, a nickel bar weights 17 units.  So really, only about 9% of that stone is metal.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2010, 03:17:04 pm »

Heya, I didn't read all of this thread but I love nickel for 2 reasons:

a) Garnierite is bright green, a unique attribute for stone. (I often mode Serpentine to be bright green to differentiate from Olivine within which it is a rare spawn)
b) Nickel is magma-safe, but can't be used for any good alloys or weapons\armor, so it's an excellent choice for magma grates, floodgates, doors, etc.
 - But it costs 3 garnierite to make one such an item, so pick your poison.

Got 300+ nickel bars? That's 30 nickel doors, 30 nickel grates, 30 nickel floodgates, and 10 nickel hatch covers. Yay! Hope you have bauxite to go with it.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2010, 03:38:04 pm »

Not entirely sure if it's intentional or not since it's new but hasn't been mentioned nor fixed, but metal objects now only take 1 bar to make.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2010, 03:44:15 pm »

Is that true for all metal objects? I did notice that Barrels and Bins take only 1 bar (I sometimes make silver barrels to get rid of extra silver) but it seems like my steel doors, etc. are still taking 3. Ill have to check closer...
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2010, 03:51:26 pm »

From what I've seen, you have to have three bars of a particular metal in your stockpile for certain items, but only one will be consumed in the process of making said item.

For instance, say you want to make a bunch of tin cages and have ten tin bars in your stockpile. That would make eight cages since each cage would consume one bar, but the eighth cage would drop you below the three necessary to start the task so the ninth and tenth cages would be cancelled.

qbert911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2010, 10:30:25 pm »

Well, I used to buy candy and pop with them.  One time I found a nickel that the pop machine would return if I used the change return lever after I bought the pop.  I don't know what was with that nickel, but I got free pop for almost a week before I couldn't stand not spending it on candy.  *sigh*  My long-range planning wasn't very good at that age.

If found this anecdote delightful.  :)

My misanthropic younger self would have used the nickle three times a day and sell two of the pops for candy money.  :-[
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]