Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The dwarfy way to build a waterclock (possibly slightly spoilery)  (Read 1262 times)

Dood

• Bay Watcher
  • !!piggy!!
    • View Profile

Hey guys,

I think I just managed to build a new kind of waterclock.
In my current fortress I was annoyed by the large amounts of forgotten beasts (5 or six distributed among all three cavern layers). The first layer is completely filled with water, as are big parts of the second one. The third one contains more dry soil and a conveniently placed magma pipe. What intrigued me was the fact that directly above the magma pipe the caverns were only separated by floor tiles, with no "solid" rock in between. So I hatched a plan: Drain layers 1 and 2 directly into the magma pipe. A quick cave-in later the dwarven waterclock was born. (See Illustration)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What I thought what would happen (all the water from the first two cavern layers rushing down and completely filling the third cavern) didn't. Instead I have a slow but steady stream of 7/7 tiles of water dripping into the the center of the magma pipe. Each 7/7 hitting the magme creates a huge plume of steam and a single tile of obsidian, which immediately drops down to the bottom of the magma sea and somehow vanishes. Therefore the pipe is not being capped by the usual crust of obsidian, which means the clock will keep ticking until the upper caverns run out of water.
The Impact on my FPS isn't even as hard as i thought it would be. DF still runs at 30 fps, although every drop hitting the magma slows it down a bit for a fraction of a second.

Well there you have it: Precision timing using all of the four classical elements plus SCIENCE!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The dwarfy way to build a waterclock (possibly slightly spoilery)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 04:45:58 pm »

I can hear the clock ticking...

A section of the cavern has collapsed

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 05:01:42 pm »

hehe. Sound interesting. So what happens when you run out of watter AND magma? thats a big spoil of resources.

Dood

• Bay Watcher
  • !!piggy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 05:07:44 pm »

hehe. Sound interesting. So what happens when you run out of watter AND magma? thats a big spoil of resources.

I think I could keep it going indefinitely. I embarked with a large river and the magma pipe is directly connected to the magma sea, which is creating new magma constantly.

P.S. Im so happy there's announcements.txt in the new version. :D

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 07:09:53 pm »

Well, if you wanted, you could always make a clock that consisted solely of a reservoir, draining off the edge of the map, attached to a water source.  The problem would be figuring out how long it took the reservoir to drain and refill.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 04:14:08 pm »

Not only that, but trees grow up on watery tiles of 6\7 or less. Once this happens a few times the water flow gets all jacked up (my cistern pump had to be freed up after 2 years worth of tree growth slowed it to a trickle). This would add an uncertain element to your clock :(
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 06:26:40 pm »

Not only that, but trees grow up on watery tiles of 6\7 or less. Once this happens a few times the water flow gets all jacked up (my cistern pump had to be freed up after 2 years worth of tree growth slowed it to a trickle). This would add an uncertain element to your clock :(

flush it with magma every year.

wyldmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 06:27:52 pm »

Or pave it before it gets filled the first time (or drain it entirely elsewhere first).

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 06:28:42 pm »

An automated magma-cleaning system is dwarfier :P

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 01:04:49 am »

Ehh, when I'm making reservoirs, I just designate them as ramps all the way through.  Trees won't grow on ramps.  (Or on pressure plates.)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 01:28:53 am »

Or on stockpiles, I hear. That could be an easier way.