Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An epic undertaking, need master-level advice.  (Read 1684 times)

Dowjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An epic undertaking, need master-level advice.
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:41:23 am »

If you want to skip the rest, this is my difficulty: http://dowjin.webs.com/myembarkment.jpg

I need advice on how to survive scorching conditions, I have an objective I -must- complete. For Great Justice.

Most importantly, how will I make all my beds and barrels?

---

The story

Upon worldgen, while I was looking for a cozy place to embark, there was a certain blatant disgust I held for one of the southern Dwarven nations. They settled in the hottest asscrack of earth they could find, and after one thousand fifty one years, could only build THREE mountainhomes!

Every other nation EXCEPT DWARVES, have scores of cities and fortresses. Why are my people so full of suck?

And why, I asked myself, would they settle for the scorching conditions of a desert? Why didn't they just move north past the mountains and into the resource-rich forests beyond?

And why, was there a single Golbinoid fortress upon the highest mountain peak laying between them and that promised land?

Legends Mode revealed it had been there since the dawn of the Age of Myth, and what followed has inspired me to crusade for my stuggling brethren.

---

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---

I would chronicle the Epicness of this legend in greater detail, but frankly, the legend is as long as the world itself, buried within 767,285 entries. If anyone wants a particular file for study or to help me out, let me know.

Dwarf Fortress Legend calls the betrayers Dwarves.

I do not.

The "Duergar" must perish for their treachery, the fiend of deciet Lural banished back to the pits for corrupting our brothers, and the Goblins expunged from our path to the promised land!

My plan is to found great military bastions around the offending mountain, to complete the flanking that the three original Mountainhomes had started.

After bolstering our Nation's strength, I will let time play and watch the world's legends for news on further sieges against Menacehand, fueled by the dwarves I've previously lead to greatness.

Or perhaps, in the near future, dig their floor right out from under them with one final Fort!

---

Is this possible? Recommendations?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 01:46:29 am by Dowjin »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: An epic undertaking, need master-level advice.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:47:43 am »

If you want to really make this hard, you're going to have to forbid the caverns entirely. Otherwise you have everything you need.

Dowjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 01:53:28 am »

No plants for early food, no water for early farms, no aquifers for early-ish farms... How do I make food and booze?

Also, the lack of wood, is kind of lacking. What do I do for beds?

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 01:54:34 am »

Bring a lot of wood at embark, you will have to rely on imported food (unless you play herder/butcher so bring dogs), wood, booze, and metal barrels if you decide to take the hard way,
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 02:08:44 am »

Sorry to add a damper, but mountainhomes you build will not be resettled after you abandon them, and there is no way to stop playing a fortress that leaves it in a functional state.

Furthermore, I don't know of any way to advance world gen after legends mode so that historical events like wars and sieges occur. The capability to let the world function after the player has left his mark on it really doesn't exist yet in df.

But don't let that stop you from settling in the desert!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 03:44:35 am »

Take alot of food and wood and drink with you on embark, if you run out, disaster will probably strike. Seems like you will need to rely on caravans oh and also on livestock, they can always be butchered.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

nooblet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 03:44:52 am »

Unless i am mistaken (or you are using some kind of mod/hack) you cant embark on a pure mountain terrain. Even in the picture you posted it shows embark greyed out.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 03:53:48 am »

Unless i am mistaken (or you are using some kind of mod/hack) you cant embark on a pure mountain terrain. Even in the picture you posted it shows embark greyed out.

There is "embark anywhere" utility. But I'm not sure whether it works with last version or not.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Dowjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 04:03:46 am »

Kalida99 & vagel7 - We'll have to bring plenty with us and see how it goes then...

Nooblet - As long as there is at least one embark-able square in your embark area, you get to embark, at least the times I've tried. The picture shows it highlighted, theres actually a darker grey for when I can't embark.

Dorten - No, its a legal embark, but that leads me to a better idea, in lieu of the following.

darkflagrance - Thats, really disappointing :(

With the suggestions, and a little wishful thinking, we will embark!

3 ghz dual core processor, 3 gb ram, init setting tweaked for FPS...

Popcap increased to 400. We will embark the -entire- mountain, we'll just have to manage it as one large-scale project.

Will be back with an update on whether or not my fps goes to the gutter.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 04:19:44 am »

400 dwarves?

Are you mad?

Having them all fed and drunk is gonna be difficult
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Dowjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 04:22:55 am »

I only start with 7 :P

By the time I get that many dwarves, the excess will be sacrificed finding caverns to support future farms.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 05:02:48 am »

Popcap increased to 400. We will embark the -entire- mountain, we'll just have to manage it as one large-scale project.

If you're thinking of a 16x16 embark, I don't think it will work. Dwarf fortress cannot use more than 2gb of ram because it isn't 'large address aware' and 16x16 embarks seem to require more than that.

Maybe you could dig out a huge castle of some kind if you split the project up over multiple smaller embarks. You could even span the castle over multiple region map tiles this way.

Also, you may want to buy a supercomputer :).

Dowjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 06:03:43 am »

Embark successful.

Details posted on the Community Games & Stories forum where the rest of this challenge belongs.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 03:30:10 pm »

Embark successful.

Details posted on the Community Games & Stories forum where the rest of this challenge belongs.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60560.0
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 05:19:54 pm »

Just dig straight down into the bosom of mother earth, she will provide everything.  Yeah, it's dangerous down there, but it's nothing that a couple of masons building walls can't handle, in most cases.  Also put hatches over your underworld portal so giant bats don't fly up out of it.

It's really not that hard...