Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I may have found a workaround for marksdwarves! (v0.31.08)  (Read 1599 times)

EsnRedshirt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I may have found a workaround for marksdwarves! (v0.31.08)
« on: June 30, 2010, 09:43:07 am »

I just had a dwarf in active station fire his crossbow on a crundle and kill it.

When I took the squad off-duty, the dwarf returned to his profession- a hunter. I don't have time to test this now, but could it be possible that marksdwarfs will actually fire in combat if they have the hunting labor enabled? (Also, military and hunting dwarves were, I believe, set to use the same ammo.) Some of you may want to help test this- I won't be able to get back to it until lunchtime.

infaerina

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: I may have found a workaround for marksdwarves! (v0.31.08)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 06:56:28 pm »

I'll give it a shot. I've got a squad I've been playing around with since I saw my hunters shooting. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

EDIT: Still no shots fired. Been a season in-game. I'll keep messing with different things. My hunters still fire and reload just fine, though.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:51:49 pm by infaerina »

Jztiberius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:50:55 am »

I will say officially I have had a squad of militarized hunters all fire their bows and real foes in the current version, every time. The deciding factor seems to be first do not make them train, just let them hunt in the down time. Also keep the uniform standard archer so it matches the hunter one. Finally you cannot have your bolts in bins or they will not use them. I just deleted all my ammo storage and let them sit where ever they please, my dwarfs use them then. That must be a bug, I wonder if anyone reported it.

So its official, the only training real dwarf archers do is the hunting kind, especially in the new caverns (Its ok but I lost a couple to Giant Cave Spiders.)

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 06:23:06 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60310.msg1360417#msg1360417

I saw this a few days ago. It does seem like hunting is the way to go. I intend to assign hunting, try and then force all my hunting marksdwarves to stay inside via burrows, and hopefully get them to train as described in that link.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:51:48 am »

I just had a dwarf in active station fire his crossbow on a crundle and kill it.

You should immediately have this dwarf make some engravings so this use of a crossbow will never be forgotten.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 12:13:06 pm »

I just saw a bunch of arrows going off and I was so excited! Unfortunately, it was the outpost liaison...  :'(
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf