Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tantrum spiral?  (Read 751 times)

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tantrum spiral?
« on: July 02, 2010, 12:56:20 pm »

I kinda wanted to leave fortress mode for a bit, but rather than just abandoning it I figured, hey, a tantrum spiral could be fun. I had no military, so I figured letting in a goblin ambush ought to do the trick one way or another... but although the goblin macemen depopulated my fortress from 60 to 12 dwarves, only one became unhappy enough to get an announcement, and he snapped out of it near instantly. I also had two possessed dwarves that didn't have the resources to finish their artifacts, and although they went insane, this also did not affect the overall joy of my fortress. In fact, of the 12 remaining dwarves, only one was particularity unhappy, while walking over the miasma-covered corpses of his fellows and about fifty pets... oh yeah... and being periodically chased by goblin macemen, who where still running around and killing anything they could catch up to (I guess the surviving dwarves where all good runners). In fact, after a while, most of the dwarves decided to get on with their blissful lives, returning to their jobs in between being chased by goblins or elkbirds*. I guess what I'm getting at... the only nice thing I had for my dwarves was a good dining hall (if by this point a bit blood, corpse, and miasma soaked). Does that alone make a big enough difference to permanently overpower any degree of unhappy thought? :P Because I had to give up when I literally could not think of a way to make my dwarves any unhappier.

*The elk birds where either harmless or non-hostile. I wish my dwarves would have just ignored them entirely. :P

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tantrum spiral?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 02:15:18 pm »

Dining halls are a very strong psychological constant for dwarves. You should have trashed it. Disrupting the food and booze supplies would have brought about the fortress' end too.

Buttons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:51:48 pm »

Ah, the grand dinning hall, all is well.

Mookie Love

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 10:27:11 pm »

Those survivors could have also ended up with the personality traits that keep them from getting unhappy anymore.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 01:46:43 am »

Dining rooms are amazingly happy. I dumped my entire food supply into my mine shafts, which by this time were completely flooded. I was pumping water into the fortress to kill it. While doing this I just let everyone stand around and chit chat, about 20 close friends died by drowning. I had hoped for a tantrum spiral but my dining room was too purty, and with the mist from all the water everyone just died of starvation and dehydration. All exstatic.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 03:53:48 pm »

"He doesn't really care about anything anymore."

"He is a hardened individual."
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.