Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Castle designs?  (Read 3617 times)

Zambaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Castle designs?
« on: June 30, 2010, 12:31:42 pm »

I've mostly made mountain fortresses and it's getting a wee bit old, and I'm dreaming of building a nice castle with a nice and cozy magma moat surrounding it. Hehe...I've attempted a few times but it's always ended up in ruins, either from goblin sneak attacks, kobolds stealing my stuff, invading hoards of migrants, the list is long.

I would like to hear from those of you who've succeeded in making a castle: how you protect your site while constructing, how do you decide how much space is needed and how do you dream up your designs? I've actually looked for real castle blueprints, but found none. Nor any good castle pictures showing the whole castle, mostly just a wall or something...So, if you have pictures of your castles, it would be awesome if you could share 'em  :)

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Castle designs?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:42:11 pm »

build the moat first and place some wooden walls at the inner moat borders (so you basically box in your settlement) then just dig out a burrow underground and use the stone to build up your fort

place a trade depot outside and only lower the bridge if you need to trade

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Castle designs?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 01:59:22 pm »

I did a lot of castle design work recently (of the 'I actually want this to look like a castle' nature, not just 'outdoor square building with more walls'), and while thanks to my odd methods I can't advise you exactly how to do it, I've got a buttload of pics here that I used as inspiration.

Design-wise, I can only give you tips: Look at each picture, pick an aspect you like, and try and imitate it. How did they do their windows? Rooves? Exactly what shape were their towers? Start off with a couple really basic geometric shapes and slowly add detail until you have plenty of towers, parapets, and the like. Don't leave the walls flat; if a part of your design is flat and boring, mold it a bit. Add an extended window or something.