Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Impressive dwarven displays  (Read 516 times)

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
Impressive dwarven displays
« on: June 28, 2010, 05:00:50 pm »

I just decided to post this because there doesn't seem to be a thread on impressive things done in the fort. Well, generally.

Mine was basically when my two groups of military dwarves attacked a forgotten beast. His name was Oggez, an elephant like form twisted into a humanoid shape. He writhed and wriggled, and spewed vapor.

At first it seemed the fogotten beasts breath did nothing at all. But then, one by one, my dwarves started fainting and feeling nauceous. A strange side effect was that the dwarves would not be able to rest until the beast had been defeated.

Wave after wave of dwarves attacked, fifteen in total. Most were without weapon, as I had been ill prepared. Some had scourges, and they scratched and scraped at him, one of them even cut open his left eye. But one by one they fell to his vapour, twitching and awaiting his final attacks.

Then one more dwarf appeared. His name was Feb. He attacked the beast, and they danced and parried one another, but the beast was definitly on the back foot. The vapor didn't seem to reach Feb, as he attacked again and again.

Finally, the Beast, covered in its own blood and condensed steam, bombarded by scratchs and scars, fell.

It was no elite wrestler that took down this beast. Nor a battle axe. I loved the symbolism here: Oggez fell to a dragooned dwarf, armed with a copper mining pick.

Now, the dwarf stood, and he gently slipped to the ground. All around him though, his fellow fighters groaned and started retching and vomiting, casting the poison out of their systems. Eventually, job completed, they went back to their tasks.

The last to leave was Feb, but before he rose I had bestowed upon him a new name: Oggezbane.

Also, when the corpse was being butchered, it took five minutes normal time, the butcher shop was cluttered with only his corpse. And I mean cluttered: The purple coloured purple. And the end product was 109 bones, 1 skull, 1 tooth, 1 cartlidge, and 1 hair.

Afterwards, a band of goblins tried to ambush my fort. They didn't learn about the cage traps until too late. Now I have about 15 prisoners, and more swag than my dwarves can handle. Im putting them in a room with a giant scorpion and several weapons traps.

----------------------------------

Was there any act that impressed you, either of luck, skill, stupidity or determination from your dwarves or any other creature?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Impressive dwarven displays
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 05:21:05 pm »

My fortress guard saved my fort from succumbing to a tantrum spiral. Sure, I went from 120-140 dwarves to about 30 or so, but if they didn't lock up the maddest dwarves I suspect it would have been a bit worse than that.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 06:20:54 pm »

After breaching the caverns I was hit by a handful of blind ogres, a few trolls, and a whole mess of krundles.  My military responded and while everybody survived two dwarves were seriously harmed.  One was terribly hurt in about every major system, he remained slumped in the hospital but sadly bled out before anybody could help him.  The second however... He survived, despite having both of his arms torn off (one at the elbow, one at the shoulder).  He fought off infection and was stitched up and regained his full health (aside from, of course, his missing arms).  But not to be outdone, later on in another wave of enemies he rejoined his brothers and sisters in combat, fighting off a giant rat by biting it until it retreated.

Hard core..

-MB

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 06:29:11 pm »

If I said 'only in Dwarf fortress', I would be ignoring the Cracked articles I've read.