Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Blunt weapons should ignore armour  (Read 11043 times)

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
Re: Blunt weapons should ignore armour
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2010, 09:35:34 am »

So, if we go back to Dwarf Fortress for a bit... ;)

What aspects of this complex discussion would need to be addressed in the game, and in what ways?

It's probably still possible to simplify the different factors into a few numbers and formulas that would make the simulation reasonably realistic, while still remaining comprehensible.

Here are some suggestions:
Global impulse, transferred by the contact between weapon and target.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Local impulse works like global impulse, except it is regarded on the level of a body part

Point impulse is the impulse per surface area affected by the impact.

Sharpness
Sharpness has no effect on point impulse - even if the edge is ten times thinner on the microscopic scale, any armor (or skin) yields on impact enough to negate this, without necessarily sustaining any damage. Sharpness is about the microscopic jagged structures that tear at the material as they're passed over it. Sharpness merely lessens the threshold point impulse needed to penetrate armor or skin.

Damage properties of weapons:
Material properties of weapons/armor:

Deflection
The impulse (all three types) transferred between weapon and target will be lessened if the hit is oblique, and/or the target rolls with it. Punching a mosquito in flight does little good. Deflection can result from a poor hit, a nearly-successful parry, cleverly made armor or any combination, as well as the target being too small and light to absorb the hit properly.

So, a hit would be processed something like this:

Oh, and if your armor menaces with spikes of obsidian, attackers may as well have the above applied in reverse...

The above deals with slashing, blunt and piercing damage, that is when the damage comes from a single instantaneous impact. Examples:

Apart from single-impact damage types, there are opposed-force damage types:
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2010, 09:39:57 am »

I would be loath to propose the above in a tabletop RPG (though I did something like it in one I was making many years ago, when young and dumb). I think it may be on the right level for DF, though. Materials could be evaluated in terms of their toughness, hardness, density and tensile strength (and cost! I forgot about that) which are reasonably comprehensible to the player.
Armor effects could also be presented to the player for flavor and feedback. Glancing hits (deflection defeats most of the damage), jarring strikes (no penetration but some jostling), bruising slashes turned off chain mail, armor denting and so forth.
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2010, 11:46:24 am »

i've just had a thought, i'd swear i read somewhere that with the new release leather armour is actually better against blunt damage than mail and that the best defense is plate over leather, I have no idea if this is tre oreven if its intentinal but did anyone else see this?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]