Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cannot engrave slab for violent ghost?  (Read 1667 times)

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
Cannot engrave slab for violent ghost?
« on: July 11, 2011, 12:35:58 pm »

I'm reclaiming a fort after a massive goblin siege took it out, and one of the starting seven of the original embark has killed 2 children and a craftsdwarf so far. Now, he's not the only ghost as there are still loads of bodies that have no coffins yet (original population was about 120) but since he's an original I tried to engrave a slab for him. Trouble is, his name doesn't show on the list. A coffin had his name on it, but nothing inside it. I tried deconstructing it and redesignating it, but the name still isn't showing.

Am I doomed to be haunted by a Ghostly Wrestler as an eternal reminder of fun times?
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Cannot engrave slab for violent ghost?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 12:58:33 pm »

It's a known bug - when you reclaim a fortress, you can't engrave slabs for the previous residents, even when they decide to come back as ghosts.
If you want to get rid of the ghost, you'll need to hack it away using Runesmith.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 01:20:42 pm »

But there is the option of engraving a slab for the 6 others...  :'(

Just my luck for naming that bastard Hurin.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 01:35:59 pm »

Pretty sure your military can target ghosts with kill orders

You could try that, though I'm not sure what the result will be.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 01:37:55 pm »

Build a butcher's shop next to where the ghost hangs out.  Keep your dwarves all slightly pissed off.  Hope that one of them gets a fell mood and decides to use the ghost as raw material.  Yes, fell moods can kill ghosts.  Admittedly, it's a long shot with low chances of success.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TantrumTime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 06:15:34 pm »

Build a butcher's shop next to where the ghost hangs out.  Keep your dwarves all slightly pissed off.  Hope that one of them gets a fell mood and decides to use the ghost as raw material.  Yes, fell moods can kill ghosts.  Admittedly, it's a long shot with low chances of success.
Even if you do kill the ghost this way, the fell dwarf will fail his mood. Ghosts unfortunately will not yield anything to make an artifact with :'(
Somewhere along the way this innocent thread about cheese went horribly, horribly wrong.
I'd say it's par for the course. Did you see that crundle thread? That one started out wrong.