Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF doesn't use the full screen on tty (ncurses mode)  (Read 3090 times)

hagbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF doesn't use the full screen on tty (ncurses mode)
« on: June 22, 2010, 07:57:14 am »

Hello,
I'm trying to run DF on a linux console, not a xterm-like emulated one, but on a real tty (e.g. /dev/tty1), because the ASCII-Graphics work/look way better for me on the tty. But unfortunately, no matter what I do, DF only uses 80x24 chars on the tty, despite it's a 128x37 character tty. The settings in init.txt are set to 128x37. I also set some environmental variables on that tty, without effect. It's not a problem with the tty (or ncurses, shell, etc.), because every other ncurses-program gets the resolution automatically right.
On an xterm-like (e.g. xfce/gnome-terminal) the game starts also at 80x24 (I'm not talking about the intro/start screen, but the game screen), but it gets the right resolution after I downsize the window and set it back to the desired size. On the tty there's no way to do that (resize it on the fly), DF just stays at 80x24.

So how do I get DF to use 128x37 characters on a tty? Is this even possible, or is it a bug? In my opinion DF should not only check the terminal size on a resize event, but also on the start.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:06:02 am by hagbard »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: DF doesn't use the full screen on tty (ncurses mode)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:53:42 am »

The text mode functionality is a recent addition, and as such is fairly simplistic and not fully functional.  Add to this the fact that it is not even being worked on by Toady1, you really should just be happy that you can play in text mode at all.  I am sure that in future versions there will be more functionality, but for now I think it has been added simply because they got it working for the most part.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

goffrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:35:14 am »

Strange, since I just tried it in a tty and it works fine for me. Maybe try running it in screen or tmux?

hagbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 11:56:17 am »

Running it in "screen" worked, after splitting (Ctrl-a S) the screen and undoing that (Ctrl-a Q). It's an ugly workaround, though.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 12:08:47 pm »

report a bug and/or PM baugn, he was looking for bug reports the other day in the 31.08 release thread.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.