Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Screen Resolution Issues.  (Read 507 times)

TheKbob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Screen Resolution Issues.
« on: June 21, 2010, 06:57:46 pm »

Hello guys.  I'm brand new to Dwarf Fortress as I finally am going to commit time to learning it (and have the free time to do it!).

I want to enjoy this fine title but for the life of me I cannot get it to run in full screen.  When I do, the intros splash videos all play in full screen but the main menu is at a much lower resolution at the top left corner of the screen  :(

I am fiddling with graphics settings in the .ini now, but this doesn't have much avail.  I'm using the Phoebus graphic set pre-installed version. 

If anyone would like to help me troubleshoot this, It would be appreciated.  I have some dwarves to slaughter and have spent all day reviewing tutorials to aid me  :o

Yes, this is the latest release (31.08).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:01:29 pm by TheKbob »

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screen Resolution Issues.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:02:11 pm »

The main menu screen displayed at a fixed size and will not properly reflect init settings. You can not change this.

TheKbob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:13:47 pm »

I used my mouse scroll wheel.  It made it bigger.

Huh.

Is there a set # of years on the world generation?  One was up to 2000+ where I saw a video of someone that only made it to 200 years.  Is an older world harder for a newb?

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 07:59:28 pm »

If you go to Design New World From Parameters (Which you should anyway, to get medium region instead of island), you can customize all sorts of world gen parameters including end year.  Alternatively, you could edit the data/init/world_gen.txt file.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 02:20:19 pm »

I used my mouse scroll wheel.  It made it bigger.

Huh.

Is there a set # of years on the world generation?  One was up to 2000+ where I saw a video of someone that only made it to 200 years.  Is an older world harder for a newb?

I think DF vanilla is just 1050 before it stops, but you can stop it earlier (ESC) it make it longer ([e]dit parameters before generating).

Older isn't necessarily harder or easier.

Though if dwarves die out altogether (probably more possible the later you go, though it's not very commom) you could have some trouble (low/zero immigration)