Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Personal enemies  (Read 1008 times)

puppyeater

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Personal enemies
« on: June 25, 2010, 08:48:23 pm »

One of the hallmarks of dwarf fortress is its emergent behavior. This allows to game to spontaneously construct stories with the player. However one of the most important elements to a good story, personal conflict, is largely missing in the game. What could be added is a new position to the current relationship status, enemy. A dwarf could have personal enemies in addition to friends and acquaintances.

This could be implemented by doing a search on dwarfish personalities and viewpoints as well as religions (in future releases) any two dwarfs with highly different viewpoints (i.e. people who like/dislike authority) could have a random chance of entering "enemy status". This could also be influenced by personality agitated, aggressive dwarfs would be more likely to form enemies and friendly dwarfs less likely.

I would like to quickly mention how this could fix "tantrum spirals" instead of having a dwarf in a tantrum spiral attack people at random, dwarfs would only attack people on their enemy list in a tantrum spiral. If dwarf A is attacked by B, A would not become unhappy but would rather be more "angry" towards B, causing a fistfight rather than a tantrum spiral.

This would be of especial interest if implemented with the nobles with a number of interesting possible applications. First someone who finds themselves the enemy of a high ranking nobel may find themselves quickly lined for the chopping or "hammering" block. If a noble angers the manager, they may not have their new gold bed delivered to their room very quickly (which should cause a great amount of resentment towards the manager and only minor reduction in overall happiness). Nobles may even be able to use their personal guard (or the new poisons) to assassinate nobles of a higher ranking.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Personal enemies
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 09:40:26 pm »

I like this.

[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 06:26:12 am »

Do keep in mind that we'll eventually appoint our own barons. They won't be disposable forever.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 06:47:28 am »

A few days ago in the questions forum someone asked for advise on his dwarfs and the grudges they developed for each other.

puppyeater

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 05:01:09 pm »

I love this game so much, I didn't even know there was a grudge mechanic already in place in the game. Thanks for pointing that out.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 05:50:00 pm »

I also think it would be interesting if there was a sort of fame/respect system.

IE, Legendary Axedwarf who slew the Forgotten Beast is "famous", and all the other citizens look up to him. If, say, he dies, tantrums are more likely than if some nobody died.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 06:40:08 am »

Yeah, tantrum spirals are unrealistic, IMO. I think realistically, a lot of people hate each other, but they only resort to killing when something pushes them over the edge. Like someone who lost a baby to miscarriage and slept on the floor all day and starves doesn't just kill random people... she'd kill someone who was insulting her over the day. Or maybe she'd get in some religious argument with another dwarf and stab him.

I'd also rather see riots. Like if people went around without food, they'd blame the farmers and try to kill them. Stupid, but it happens IRL. If they want beds, they'd mob carpenters. If there's a lot of deaths, they'd blame the sheriff.

I also think it would be interesting if there was a sort of fame/respect system.

IE, Legendary Axedwarf who slew the Forgotten Beast is "famous", and all the other citizens look up to him. If, say, he dies, tantrums are more likely than if some nobody died.

Heh, going on a little from this, what about a jealousy mechanic? Especially amongst other axedwarves, and if the personality suited them.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 12:32:58 pm »

Yeah, tantrum spirals are unrealistic, IMO. I think realistically, a lot of people hate each other, but they only resort to killing when something pushes them over the edge.
I agree. If you imagine some of the things these poor sods are put through (just think about boatmurdered...) you'd think they'd be more likely to curl up and die than anything else.