Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Silo/Warehouse  (Read 4020 times)

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silo/Warehouse
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 11:59:06 am »

Even if most items can be hidden in barrels or bins (does this really fix the problem?), the biggest problem is the huge buildup of stones you get from digging, and there isn't anywhere to put them that won't kill your fps. I also personally don't want to destroy all of them utterly, since I'd use a lot of them later.

EDIT: I guess what I'm trying to say, a 5X5 "master storehouse" would use at most 1/25 the computational resources of a 5X5 pile, and would be several times more efficient if it held more than one item per square of size. ... would a variably sized building be out of the question? Kind of like a bridge, but made to store things long term and help your fps.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 12:09:53 pm by Solace »

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 12:40:23 pm »

You can already stack them in dump piles of as little as 1x1 squares.
Probably a bug but it can be done.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 03:04:59 pm »

That's clearly an exploit, plus it doesn't make the calculations easier on the cpu.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 03:54:12 pm »

Even if most items can be hidden in barrels or bins (does this really fix the problem?), the biggest problem is the huge buildup of stones you get from digging, and there isn't anywhere to put them that won't kill your fps. I also personally don't want to destroy all of them utterly, since I'd use a lot of them later.
The same reasoning could go for stone: most of it is inert in all but the most extreme circumstances. Just iterate through stones 10 to 100 times less than normal objects. DF is far from optimized, which is normal for an alpha.
As a temporary workaround, make a few custom reactions that turn dozens of rocks into a single items, and can be converted back.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

marcusbjol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 06:22:08 pm »

Fixing this problem would require defining volumes.  A dragon should not be the same size as a wheat seed.

Until this is done, everything is a hack and will be undone eventually.
Pages: 1 [2]