Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Burised" organs: better text  (Read 848 times)

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Burised" organs: better text
« on: June 23, 2010, 12:04:06 pm »

A minor suggestion. The combat logs say that an organ has been bruised, an action which renders it utterly destroyed and incapable of functioning. A dwarf with a bruised lung suffocates. A dwarf with a bruised brain dies instantly.

"Bruised" should be replaced with a more accurate term, such as "crushed" for a blunt attack and "torn" for an edged attack.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Burised" organs: better text
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 06:13:37 pm »

Well that is because it isn't crushed or torn... Bruised is something else and indeed it can be deadly.

A better term for something bruised to the point of causing medical problems if I had to invent one is "Battered"

Doodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Burised" organs: better text
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 06:46:19 pm »

Organs can be bruised, although I'm not really sure how one would refer to this medically.
Then again, I don't think you were arguing about the term's validity, but instead how we might use more precise terms.

Perhaps you might have different modifiers, such as "a contused lung," "a badly contused lung," finally using words like "severely contused," "battered," or "torn" to reflect the most grievous wounds with ideas like torn showing that the organ has been directly pierced as RavingManiac suggested. A number of organs could have a varying chance of recovery if the individual was attended to and had a long period of rest, but then include a message such as "is failing," to inform a player that something has been damaged to the point where it will no longer recover.

So if I stabbed someone right in the liver, the display might read "X has a torn liver. X's liver is failing."