Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Having a problem with flasks/waterskins  (Read 972 times)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Having a problem with flasks/waterskins
« on: June 20, 2010, 04:54:40 pm »

So, I'm trying to make waterskins for my military dwarves to use. Two problems occur. One, the flasks never get taken to the appropriate storage area, even though there's plenty of room. They just sit there and pile up in the leatherworks. Also, the flasks themselves simply say "flasks". No bear/dog/cat leather flask or anything like that. And two, regardless of that, my military guys simply will not pick up the flasks for use.

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Having a problem with flasks/waterskins
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 06:29:35 pm »

I don't bother with them, but it should be automatic.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 06:36:31 pm »

Flasks are bugged and are basically worthless right now (on the plus side, they dont seem to register as "items", so if you make a billion of them they won't clutter up your workshop either)

I think waterskins are less fucked up but still don't work

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 06:41:31 pm »

As of .05 my military dwarves would pick up and use bronze flasks, but honestly, I only made them because my mayor had a fetish for the stupid things.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 09:28:19 pm »

To be a bit more precise - if you try to MAKE flasks, you'll get bugged no-material flasks that your dwarfs won't use.  But you can buy flasks or waterskins from caravans and your military will use those without any problem. 

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 09:48:55 pm »

I've had no problems making leather waterskins.  They are then designated as plain flasks, which are picked up automatically.

Even when I bought the fancy platinum diamond studded flasks from the caravan, my dwarfs refuse to use those.  They only use the generic "flask" flasks.
igless

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 10:03:20 pm »

An additional observation (read: bug) I've noticed is that only the squad leader seems to carry the food and drink assigned to the squad. When I've attempted using these in the past, only the squad leader seemed to have the flasks or backpacks (in which was carried food), and after shuffling military dwarves around (causing them to drop and empty their backpacks), the food was still assigned to the old squad leaders, and only those leaders. Obviously there are still some kinks to work out about it, despite the option being there to manage in the military menu.

I hope at some point that all dwarves will be able to make use of flasks and personal containers to carry drinks and food so as not to interrupt their work for quite as long a time. Refilling a flask might take as long as it currently takes to drink, but it could have two or three drinks to it which they can swig from as soon as they are thirsty, rather than run down to the food stockpile and viciously beat off anyone else trying to use their appropriated barrel of booze. Food would require a slightly different approach - probably only prepared and simple meals (e.g. cookies and other options that'll eventually go in, but not roasts, stews or "messy" raw components) could be carried and eaten at whim. Everything else would need to be eaten in a dining room, or at least at a table.