Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Allocate farms to be directly muddied  (Read 2288 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Allocate farms to be directly muddied
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 04:24:02 pm »

Extinguishing fires would require dwarves to be in any way capable of recognizing what a fire is.  Plus, it might not be too handy to have dwarves run directly into the fire to dump that water out, either.   

Anyway, with what Mir is talking about, that requires the whole Improved Farming thing would have to, at least, in part, be implimented.

Supposedly, Toady's going to get around to the stuff that's been glutting the ESV's top 10 after doing finishing the bug fixes, and Improved Farming is one of them, but he might well do more military stuff polishing instead.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 07:11:15 pm »

The beauty of OOP is that you can implement the basic act of dumping water on a tile and debug that without worrying about what dumping water on the tile actually does. Thus, you can implement dwarves dumping water on a farm plot, and make sure they dump enough but not too much, but the effect it has on the farm can be left until later.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 07:34:14 pm »

What is the benefit of the current arrangement by comparison?

Theoretically, the Fun™ of engineering irrigation systems. However, this is trivialized by the fact that you only ever have to do it once.

If, as mentioned above, irrigation could be done manually, but needed repeat watering, then mechanical irrigation would be remain a beneficial project, while day-one-month-one farming wouldn't be unnecessarily convoluted.

You only need to muddy/irrigate once--- unless you have a dwarf start throwing a tantrum in your fields, or a beserking dwarf chases some animal or civilian dwarf into the farm fields and be made to bleed all over them. Or any other source of blood (ie, cavern dwllers break into it and die under your military's weapons, blood tracked in by dwarves, etc). Then you have blood everywhere, and then the mud gets cleaned up. When the blood gets cleaned up, so does the mud, and you have no more mud for farming there. Then you have to re-irrigate. Mechanical irrigation wins then, as you have to remove your old famr plot, LAY DOWN A CONSTRUCTED FLOOR, pick up the constructed floor (because CLEANED TILES will never muddy up again), irrigate the tiles, and build the farm plot.

Tedious, but that's what you have to do to get your farm back.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 07:43:00 pm by Lord Darkstar »
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Hammurabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 10:36:43 pm »

The current system defies logic.  I have dwarves, buckets and water.  Yet I cannot just pour water on the ground to make it muddy.  I have to channel down from the z-level above, then designate a pond.  Without this being documented in the wiki, I would have never figured it out. 

One solution would be able to (d)esignate an area to be made muddy.
Back in 1971, Nolan Bushnell of Atari said, "All the best games are easy to learn, and difficult to master," a design philosophy now treated as instinctual by nearly every designer in the industry.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 07:20:33 am »

A choice on the farm plot for "have dwarves muddy this plot Y/N" making them automatically go get water from a designated water source with buckets and then muddy the plot with it would be nice. But I'm sure there's going to be a major overhaul of farming somewhere in the future and not sure what's planned.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Hammurabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 10:46:58 am »

A choice on the farm plot for "have dwarves muddy this plot Y/N" making them automatically go get water from a designated water source with buckets and then muddy the plot with it would be nice. But I'm sure there's going to be a major overhaul of farming somewhere in the future and not sure what's planned.

I think it is fair to say that almost everything in the game is going to have a major overhaul. 
Back in 1971, Nolan Bushnell of Atari said, "All the best games are easy to learn, and difficult to master," a design philosophy now treated as instinctual by nearly every designer in the industry.

Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 05:54:56 pm »

It just takes time. I'm sure it'll get there some day.

Toady is only one person after all. An amazing person who writes awesome stuff, but still just one person.

Snap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 06:28:06 pm »

I'm picturing dwarves standing in random spots on a farm plot. Flys unzipped and guzzling beer.

I usually just dig a hallway down to near a lake or the river on the same level. Build a room. Place a floodgate partway down a corridor leading to the river and a lever. works ok for me. Then I re-wall the farm area to make sure nothing can destroy the floodgate and get in that way. :p
Pages: 1 [2]