Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military  (Read 1190 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Military
« on: February 09, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »

Well some ideas related to giving us greater control of the military:

1.Ability to give dwarfs duty times. When on duty they would head over to wherever they are stationed, when off duty they would eat drink sleep and if they have any extra time spar, If they are on duty for too long at a time they would generate unhappy thoughts an on duty dwarf will not eat or drink unless it would otherwise mean starving/dehydrating to death and would only sleep if they cannot avoid it (falling asleep on the spot) leaving their post/ sleeping would result in a beating.

2. Ability to preset multiple seige postions, these are positions that you can order assumed at any time although it is mainyl meant for seiges, this would allow you to reposition dwarves during a seige by switching position and would when activated trump their normal positions.

so for example:

code:

. = floor
# = wall
1 = seige position 1
2 = seige position 2
3 = seige position 3
S = Sationed at this point
#.#####################
#3...................##
####################.##
#...................2##
#.#####################
#1....................S
#######################

At first one of my marksdwarves would be stationed at S to stop theives, as the seige became i would activate seige position one this would cause my marksdwarf to head to the one, if the goblins got too close i would activate 2 at this point he would head to 2, then after they got close again i would activate 3. Once seige positions would also probably combo with a green amber and red alert system: green = dwarves go on and off duty normally (unless engaged in combat) amber = Dwarves reamain on duty until green alert is restored red = all dwarves are on duty.

3. Some special last stand orders such as:

a) all dwarves gather in a pre designated zone grabbing any armour/weapons they can can they would then organise themselves so children and nobles not used to combat are in the middle hiding and all the other dwraves are around them, dwarves with no combat skills would throw stuff at first before charging in and armoured dwraves woudl be stationed to take the most hits.

b) All dwarves attempt to flee the fortress, however unlike cowardly humans dwarves are organised whilst fleeing, they would group up with armoured dwarves on the outside and nobles/children furthest in. These groups wouldnt stop to fight but rather would knock down goblins and keep running (trample damage)

EDIT:
Ive got a 4:
4. Ability to build gyms for your dwarves to train attributes at, Maybe just one gym which randomly trains up or like a gym for strength agility course for
agility and somethign for toughness, either way idle dwarfs would come here to train, so this would be a usefull way to get up attribs for military service or just for hauling.

[ February 11, 2008: Message edited by: thatguyyaknow ]

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

ilnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 07:16:00 pm »

formations?
saving children and nobles?

cool, but think of the cpu
ohh please wont SOMEONE think of the CPU?
 :p

laugh in the face of danger,
then i run away.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

the first idea I agree with, duty times wouldnt own your cpu to hard and it would mean it could be organised so that crucial locations were always guarded, and more importantly the squads would all be on duty at the same time instead of always being at half strength. also would need a "leave station for pickup equipment/dont" option for when marksmen run out of ammo.
Having said that I think the military/combat system is far better than the suggestions forum would have you believe. It works fine in my fortress
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 10:40:00 am »

Well not really saving the nobles, more the nobles being too cowardly to actually fight anyone. Would be funny if when in threat the nobles created a mandate "Save my life"

[ February 11, 2008: Message edited by: thatguyyaknow ]

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Chops II

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 06:29:00 am »

dont know if this has already been suggested, but i htink when someone on duty needs to sleep, drink, rest, whatever, then the next highest rank should become the leader temporarily, so the whole squad doesnt go watch their leader go and have some food.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »

seconded, gr8 military suggestions
concearning the gyms, also seconded
there could be personality traits which governs how much time an idle dwarf spends at the gym.
there could be happy/unhappy thoughts of having/not having access to a gym. working out at the gym would leave your dwarves winded or over-exterted.
obviously it shouldn't be called a "gym", sounds modern. maybe a "gymnastics hall" or some roman or greek name.
een failing lately?

Aloysius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 02:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by gurra_geban:
<STRONG>seconded, gr8 military suggestions
concearning the gyms, also seconded
there could be personality traits which governs how much time an idle dwarf spends at the gym.
there could be happy/unhappy thoughts of having/not having access to a gym. working out at the gym would leave your dwarves winded or over-exterted.
obviously it shouldn't be called a "gym", sounds modern. maybe a "gymnastics hall" or some roman or greek name.</STRONG>

I like reading other people's suggestions and often find myself agreeing, but a gym for dwarves, no matter what you call it, just won't make sense to me.

The Greeks who famously used the gymnasium to buff up (or to admire others who were buffing up) were able to do so because they were an otherwise pretty idle class with lots of free time and lots of unspent energy. They had others (including huge numbers of slaves and/or women) to take care of the daily drudgery, like farming, mining, weaving textiles... pretty much all those dwarfy things in the game.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 06:59:00 pm »

How about when I set for all dwarves stay indoors, they ALL STAY INDOORS?

During a seige, I don't need my legendary bowyer or whoever taking a stroll and getting wasted instantly..

Sometimes they do stay in, but it seems just as many times, I watch them stroll straight out of the side of the mountain into the rapidly advancing DEATH.

igless

makar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 02:26:00 am »

or, they stay in the dooropening,

First being torn apart by indecision, "I must get that sock, but it is outside, that is forbidden, but i must get that sock, but there are goblins, sock, and beak dogs, sock, and trolls, sock"

Then being torn apart by goblins/beak dogs/trolls/arrows etc...

I would like to be able to designate a entrance hall way as "outside" even when it is carved into the mountain....

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 09:38:00 am »

You can already build gyms. Just use a pump.
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 10:18:00 am »

Speaking of the "stay indoors" command I'd rather be able to mark a "safety area" where all civilian dwarves would run when the fortress is set to stay indoors.