Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oilchance: Diggin Hard (Fortress Journal)  (Read 815 times)

Ravenglass

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Oilchance: Diggin Hard (Fortress Journal)
« on: June 19, 2010, 07:00:56 pm »

Hey everybody! This is my first attempt at writing a fortress journal, so hopefully it doesn't suck  ;D This is my first year with Screenshots to go along with it.Questions/Comments/Suggestions welcome.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Journal of Mebzuth Rockcarnal

1st Granite -

Our caravan of survivors has finally been forced to stop. Our wagon, retrieved from the hollow, broken shell of our previous homestead, can't go any farther and the terrain keeps getting more treacherous. We've found a flat valley in the mountains with plenty of open ground and trees to fortify ourselves with. There will be no digging into the mountainside for us this time. That way lies siege and entrapment. This time, all avenues of escape will be open, in case the undead arrive in force once more. With any luck, the snows will hold off anything too unpleasant, but I worry about when they will disappear in favor of green grass and sustenance.

8th Granite -

Our first encounter with the denizens of this valley were not under pleasant circumstances. Our dogs slew a Harpy that had come to our wagon when we were out. Luckily, they emerged victorious and relatively unharmed, but next time we may not be so fortunate.

16th Granite -

There was another Harpy attack today. This time, it went straight for the laborers working on the enclosure. Our intrepid militia commander Momuz Leaguestaff, who took up the mantle just a couple days after the first attack, leapt to our defence. To his later chagrin, he leapt too quickly to retrieve his axe from the tree he had been felling. His fists were enough, however to beat off the harpy filth until the dogs could reach the enclosure. I've assigned three of them to Momuz permanently, to ensure the safety of our commander in his our new home.

8th Malachite -

The Enclosure is well on the way to completion, with the walls and bridges finished and the centeral bunker under construction. The Harpies appear to have been driven away for now, as they were last sighted a few days after the dogs put paid to their flock. This good fortune has been tempered with ill news today. Our intrepid Commander Momuz has been gravely injured while defending the civilians from a band of Ogres. None of us have any medical skill, but the engineer Dastot Stockadedoor has volunteered to see what can be done in our makeshift hospital within the mines. Hopefully, her knowledge extends beyond crewing her catapult and the brewing of ale.

25th Malachite -

Several other survivors from the homestead have arrived! With any luck, they'll bring usefull skills to the compund. Speaking of which, the compound's walls have been completed. When there is some extra time, we will probably add a roof to the centeral bunker, but for now a Trade Depot will be sufficient.

5th Limestone -

Tragedy has struck today. The brave Commander Momuz, after a long struggle with his wounds, has succumbed to an infection transmitted by the Ogre's filthy club. He will be buried with all honors once a graveyard level is designated. Until then, we can simply mourn.

(Unfortunately, I didn't have anything to really help the healing process yet. Ah well, next time)

11th Limestone -

As if sensing our weakness, the Harpies returned today as great in number as before. In a rage at this callous use of our grief, the militia dwarf Ablel Fortressacted leapt on one of the fiends as it entered our wagon. In a true example of Dwarven mourning, he ripped off the beasts nose before beating it to death with his bare hands. I promptly elevated him to the position of his former commander.

28th Limestone -

Several more survivors trickled in, but they believe they are the last of us. They did inform us that a runner had been sent to alert the king of our homestead's fall, and that he should be sending succour to us soon. While this is heartening news, our king has always been of a mercenary bent, so I doubt whatever aid he sends will be free.

9th Sandstone -

In our delvings, we've broken into the vast underground network known as the Caverns. For the moment, the best choice is to seperate ourselves from it, but when we have a standing military force we will be sure to establish ourselves on the rockface. Our new Commander Ablel was wounded in another battle with the harpies. He was chasing the creatures when they turned and savaged his arm. Luckily I was there to give him aid, but his temper is going to be the end of him someday.

8th Moonstone -

Praise Armok! The king sent a supply caravan just as the refugees said. Of course, our concerns proved themselves to be valid when the the trade liason made himself known and demanded we set down a trade agreement before recieving our supplies. I've never liked those heavy handed pen pushers. The caravan master wouldn't even give us a piece of cloth to bandage Alblel's broken elbow. We had to sell of Momuz's old possessions just to save our comrade. He would not begrudge the loss, but I do not take kindly to my miserly kin. Next year, there will be a financial reckoning.

17th Slate -

Our first year is at an end. Today we celebrated the Armok blessed union of Commander Alblel and Chief Medic Dastot, although we did it without them being present. No doubt they both had important duties to attend to. The bunker has been roofed and lined with fortifications, which will house a siege engine in the future. Immigrants from the mountain halls have followed the King's aid caravan and have raised our number to an auspicious 32 dwarves of stout heart and noble temperment. As a wrap up to the year, our canine breeding program has borne fruit. 11 puppies were born this year, and only one is expected to be less than gigantic when he has grown. We will no doubt trade him to the Halls as the runt of his litter.

All in all a good year, although my woodcutter's early demise was both unexpected and unfortunate. I'm just glad the water isn't frozen all year! The coming year I hope to get some trade going, as well as some weapon and armor producton started.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oilchance: Diggin Hard (Fortress Journal)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 10:52:54 pm »

So can we claim dwarves?

Ravenglass

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 11:37:30 pm »

Sure, give me the name you want and the professio and I'll try to fit you in when an appropriate Dwarf appears :)

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 12:41:20 am »

Awesome - Dorf me (please)!

Name: Grue McGee
Profession: Woodcutter/Axedwarf

Put him in the fortress militia.