Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Basic Stuff  (Read 1500 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Basic Stuff
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 07:15:33 pm »

No, you can't download DF with Mayday already bundled - that's probably 75% of my frustration. The other 25% of my frustration is that I can't download the game bundled with Mayday AND Dwarf Therapist - Which is a must have.
Oh?  Then what is this?  The link is DF, bundled with Mayday's tileset, set up to work with the graphics.

I check dffd like every two weeks - I try to find out how the game is progressing, should I try it again?
The main DF page has links to feeds for releases and the individual updates, which you can use to watch the small changes as they are made, and the complete changes for each release.  It's in big letters on the main DF page, not hard to find.

Here...

1. Did the speed increase so that I can play the game with more than 100 doorfs?
2. Where can I download the game with Mayday and Dwarf Therapist?

That's what I need. Because I don't want to spend a week building shit only to discover the game slows to 10 FPS after I get 100 doorfs. And I don't want to spend an hour configuring shit and testing shit and starting the game.
Out of curiosity, no offense intended, but why can't you just download DT separately?  Toady doesn't maintain DT, so it's not possible to bundle it with the new release, since DT won't have been updated to work with it yet.  And personally, I'd rather he work on the game, than updating someone else's utilities, however awesome they may be.  (And DT is freaking awesome)

The first time I played the game, I spent 100 hours just watching tutorials, configuring the embark options... and then the game slowed to 10 FPS after I got 100 doorfs. I bought a desktop computer - a dual core - it wouldn't run the fucking game either. It was 20 FPS. After a month of playing this game, my dwarf fortress no longer works.

So I went to check out the new release - No Mayday, No Dwarf Therapist... I been watching the downloads... finally someone included Dwarf Therapist... so I snagged it. 2 hours just to test it. No way it will run with 100 doorfs, it barely runs with 7 doorfs.

My saved games are not compatible. There is no release of the game which includes Mayday AND Dwarf Therapist. There isn't one. I don't want to spend a day trying to make this game work. I just want it to work when I download it and I don't want the game to die after I get 100 doorfs.
...It takes me about 30 seconds to generate a pocket world, maybe 10 minute to generate a medium world (haven't tried anything bigger yet).  I have a 2GHz single core machine, 2GB ram.  It has been said a million times over on the forums here that DF is not multi-threaded (although the graphics might be now, I forget).  So in general, speed increase from an extra core is going to be nigh on non-existent (my laptop which has 2 cores is barely different at all, maybe a couple frames faster).

As far as time spent getting started, my brother, who wasn't computer savy enough to get DF set up with a tileset, managed to be playing a fortress with a decent build about 30 minutes after I set it up for him....  The wiki is a great source, any time he asked a question I just told him to use the wiki, and he managed to play just fine.

It could just be that I want to go to fast, but my wrist can feel strained after setting up an embark profile, mainly because the list of skills is so damn long. Mouse-based selection wouldn't hurt there (but maybe I'm a heretic for even thinking about using the mouse).

Also in b4 "lol learn ASCII or GTFO noob"
I don't disagree that it would be better, but it's not complicated.  The complaint was about time, but even with the list as big as it is, much more than 30 minutes is pushing it.  If I'm using my standard build it doesn't even take me 5 minutes to have the skills and items set up.  (The names are a whole separate issue, I spend ages trying to find a perfect name :P )  Oh, and personally, I'd absolutely love the full mouse support, it'd save me the carpel tunnel :P

And by no means do I support forcing newer players to use ASCII, I prefer tilesets myself, but having Toady maintain a graphics set and tileset on top of design stuff would likely be a bigger drain on his time than most people think.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 07:24:50 pm »

It's all on his to-do list, except for the thing you really want.

There's never going to be fan-made utilities packed-in with the official release. Toady doesn't want to have to support one, and doesn't want to show favoritism. You're going to have to find someone who can supply you with a customized version (somebody in the discussion forum might be able to help you, if the links already in this thread are not to your liking), wait until DF reaches the point that add-ons are unnecessary, or learn to install the game and any mods you want to use manually.

Honestly, demanding official support for your favorite mods, especially with such a small developer, strikes me as a bit needy. Yes, the hobby (playing modded indie games) is a little harder to learn than watching television, but life is often about trade-offs like this.

How difficult is it really to use the arrow keys and +/- to set stats for 7 dwarves?

It could just be that I want to go to fast, but my wrist can feel strained after setting up an embark profile, mainly because the list of skills is so damn long. Mouse-based selection wouldn't hurt there (but maybe I'm a heretic for even thinking about using the mouse).

Also in b4 "lol learn ASCII or GTFO noob"

Are you using the Page Down key? Honestly, the list is pretty long, but the important skills tend to be in tight little groups.  It might be nice to have all the essentials, like growing and masonry, up at the top with mining and woodcutting.

Also, make sure to use proper form, carpal tunnel tends to get num-pad typists really quickly.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 03:00:20 am »

I think most people here will agree that the interface leaves a lot to be desired.

I thought last time we had this discussion 3/4 of the people said they were in love with the interface?
:o
In that case I will have to take that back. Thanks for correcting me!
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Xeorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 03:22:44 pm »

Personally I like the ascii graphics over mayday's set.

Also, optimizing code is not done usually until later in development.  Yes, it'd be nice, and yes, it's on the list.  Things that require work aren't done in seconds.

And there is a default embark group setup, called "Play now!".  Last I checked, it tried to do everything, and wasn't very good.  There are a lot of options there, and most of df is about personalizing your fort anyway.
Pages: 1 [2]