Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blood on ground = blood out of creature  (Read 1021 times)

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
Blood on ground = blood out of creature
« on: June 12, 2010, 05:06:25 am »

Suggestion: When a creature leaves a blood smear on the ground, some variable should track the amount of blood lost. :D

Reason: I'm all for 'there was BLOOD EVERYWHERE' as the next person, but this is just ridiculousness. Story, afict: A human wounds an elephant to a general 'yellow' status.
Spoiler: trail image (large) (click to show/hide)
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood on ground = blood out of creature
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 06:41:21 am »

Creatures can allready run out of blood, it may take a while but they can thats why in the dwarven health status screen is "blood loss" and "heavy blood loss" for the medical dwarf to diagnose.

About your picture... are you using a big LCD/Plasma/LED TV to play DF on or something  :o

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 02:45:57 pm »

Not only that, but elephants also have a rather large amount of blood, predictably.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 04:00:31 pm »

What really should happen is that a distinction is made in displaying a drop vs. a smear vs. a puddle of blood. Every drop of blood can make a whole dining room red: that's a bit much.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 07:24:48 pm »

Hm, I guess there is already that variable... now, I guess I could suggest 'when it leaves a smear, lessen the blood it has'... I'm not sure DF does that.

bluephoenix: I've had a few dwarves die in the hospital of blood loss... darn lazy surgeons! I just think this is a case where that elephant should be drained dead by now. ;)
Untelligent: Yes, but that is a long blood smear. :P
Silverionmox: Hm, I like your idea! I agree, that would be much better.

Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 07:38:06 pm »

To be fair, if my calculations are somewhat accurate, the average DF elephant should have about three and a half hundred litres of blood in it (for you imperial types, that's an aquarium big enough for a grown man to squeeze into). Spread about properly, that's one hell of a mess.

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 08:43:27 pm »

True. Very true. ... I'll have to try that sometime.

However, how much of this blood is required for walking? At least 'some', I don't think elephants are 'good to the last drop'. ;D

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 09:21:54 am »

Also, have you ever spilt a pint of milk on the floor? That's an awful big spill for such a tiny amount of milk.

Elephants have roughly 800 pints of blood in their body. That trail you showed wouldn't even make it feel woozy.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 10:29:47 am »

Actually, the accuracy of that last statement is entirely dependent on the size of the tiles. Teehee.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 10:22:21 pm »

I figure a tile is about a meter, and given several hundred square meters of blood-covered ground...
Anything should feel woozy.

Also... how much blood is in a 'smear', anyway?

I still feel that elephant should be dead on the ground.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 10:55:08 pm »

a smear I would guess to be a ml, so not very much
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 11:04:56 pm »

I figure a tile is about a meter, and given several hundred square meters of blood-covered ground...

Only problem though is that an elephant should cover at least four squares by that method. Then theres the even bigger creatures like dragons and the various titans and megabeasts. A tile can hold 100 dragons with one of them standing, yet a tile can only hold one dwarf with any others prone. Tile size is extrenely abstracted out right now, although there are some figures (height for one) which are now actually measureable.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 02:18:15 pm »

... actually, I'd figure a tile is about 10 feet, or around 3 meters, as tiles are basically meant to be cubes, as far as can be told from the way game mechanics work, and the general standard distance between one story of a building and the next is 10 feet.  Granted, these are dwarves we are talking about, but I would expect the stone ceilings of dwarven caves to be thicker to be bolstered with more supports than a wooden human building.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 05:17:00 am »

but symbols don't mean
that the whole tile is like that
it's just one feature

Maybe we should ask.
Toady will know for certain
he made it, you know.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 05:40:35 pm »

True. [Blue, Boysen, Saskatoon, Straw, Rasp] true.
I suppose it's a DF 'graphical thing'. I can't complain about it... I don't expect that great a detail from ascii graphics. ...That, and the detail level already in is rather impressive.

I suppose it's a sign that the rest of the graphics are so high-quality that I complain. :D

I still say it looks funny, though.

P.S. I've always figured a tile to be about a meter, cubed, with a foot or so of floor above the cube.