Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Using raised bridges as trap.  (Read 1350 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Using raised bridges as trap.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 04:36:15 pm »

Try a twisting maze over a deep pit.

Code: [Select]
XXXXXXXXXX
X...X...X.
X.X.X.X.X.
X.X.X.X.X.
X.X.X.X.X.
X.X.X.X.X.
X.X.X.X.X.
..X...X...
XXXXXXXXXX

Its basically a 1 tile wide path that winds back and forth. Over that build just a bunch of 10x10 retracting bridges. Extended the bridges allow fast travel over the entrance. When the bridges retract they should fling goblins around randomly. Which means they will be flung up into the air, and then there will no longer be any bridge below them.

Splat.

:D

Its not 100% effective of course. You will want to station some soldiers to catch anyone who makes it through, or some weapon/cage traps to deal with them, but its very good for capturing goblins, kobolds, caravans, and migrants into your pit.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 04:59:20 pm »

The best design for maximum goblin killing is a magma trap over a nice long winding path that is several Z-levels high. Just take Hyndis's design, add some staircases, stack it up, put some magma on top. Done. Just be sure to have a drain for the magma. Since iron is magmasafe it doesn't melt, and you're fine. Not sure if goblinite melts actually. If it does a drowning chamber is also effective.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 05:14:45 pm »

I just let gravity do all the work for me. The trap itself can be as large as you want. If space saving is important then vertically stacking it, with the paths winding back and forth on top of each other will definitely save a lot of space. Or you can just build it very long. Requires more digging but lets you watch the entire trap on the same Z level all at the same time.

Once marksdwarves are working again you can build it in a U shape. Put marksdwarves in the middle, so they can shoot at goblins while they attempt to get through the maze of flinging bridges.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 05:28:51 pm »

my flooding chambers are always full of corpses and goblinite.
That's odd. Why are your corpses not burning up in magma? Or are you perhaps using the wrong liquid to flood with?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 06:13:10 pm »

Burning up the goblins in magma is just a waste.

How can you decorate your things made out of goblinite with goblin bone if you burn away all of the goblin bone?  :(

Goblin skull totems menacing with iron spikes and images of goblins being struck down in goblin bone are where its at.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 07:18:44 pm »

Okay the bone is good. I suppose drowning chambers are best if you want that. As far as killing everything goes, use magma. Perhaps a double system, one to drown and one to burn. Just burn undead and things that can't drown.
Pages: 1 [2]